Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Vinyl Graphics

Default Vinyl Graphics

Can someone recommend a shop that designs vinyl graphics for my KF SS?

There's not much locally to choose from.

Thanks,
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: Vinyl Graphics

Screaming Aero Graphix in Ocala, Fl. They make both vinyl graphics and paint masks. I've had good service from them.
    Last edited by Tom Waid; 06-08-2012 at 07:53 AM. Reason: wording

The timing on some topics seem sometimes surreal. I met with a local shop yesterday after waiting a couple of weeks for a, "give me a couple of days" job. I was amazed how much was wrong with their final result. My N number will cross a paint line just above the horizontal stabilizer. The colors on each side of the line are white and yellow. I wanted the numbers in a dark color with a thin border of yellow over the white and white over the yellow backgrounds. There would be a right side and a left side as the lines are diagonal up the vertical stab (sunburst style). I suggested burgandy for the color of the lettering, she recommended dark blue. I went with that. I took photos that they could use as a base level for the art work showing the color line angle and proportions.

What I saw yesterday - two right sides consisting of blue lettering over the white portion with a burgandy border and burgandy lettering with blue border over the yellow.

What I learned from that. Working locally might sound like communications would be better - possibly not. A detailed email probably would have been better than the face to face meeting.
    Lowell

I had very good luck with Aerographics in Loveland, Colorado.

We had a complicated three layer paint mask for a vertical stab logo and Aerographics was very competent at creating the masks from our original artwork.

The jpg of the finished tail shows four colors: red, orange, silver, and black (shadowing). The tough part was getting a precise mask for the "Daylight" script and the script shadowing, but Aerographics did a great job.

Rich Cunningham
    Lafayette, CA
    Model IV - 912UL
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the replies. I've emailed both companies to touch base and hopefully get a quote.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

I'm involved with one of the companies mentioned, and the designer of the graphics asked me what size N number I wanted. I've used 4 inch in my previous projects, but am considering a larger number for the Kitfox.

Is there a restriction? From what I remember, seems like AC that fly over 250k are to have a 12" number. but what about the sizes in between?

Thanks!
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by MotReklaw View Post
    ... what size N number I wanted. I've used 4 inch in my previous projects, but am considering a larger number for the Kitfox.
    Is there a restriction? From what I remember, seems like AC that fly over 250k are to have a 12" number. but what about the sizes in between?
    FAA Advisory Circular 45-2D mentions a minimal height of 3" for "Experimental aircraft—exhibition, amateur-built, and light-sport aircraft with a maximum cruising speed of 180 knots or less", and a minimum of 12" for "Fixed-wing aircraft"

See also CFR "PART 45—IDENTIFICATION AND REGISTRATION MARKING" at http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text...1.3.22.3.363.6

45.29 Size of marks:
    (b) Height. Except as provided in paragraph (h) of this part, the nationality and registration marks must be of equal height and on—

(1) Fixed-wing aircraft, must be at least 12 inches high, except that:

(iii) Marks at least 3 inches high may be displayed on an aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate under §21.191 (d), §21.191 (g), or §21.191 (i) of this chapter to operate as an exhibition aircraft, an amateur-built aircraft, or a light-sport aircraft when the maximum cruising speed of the aircraft does not exceed 180 knots CAS; and...

So, trying to translate Upper-Legalese to English:

At least 3 inches if you don't fly faster than 180 Knots, 12 otherwise, no upper limit.

Roberto (who was never a lawyer)

That suits me Roberto, thanks for the info.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Also, I believe you need 12 inch if you are going to fly back into the US from another country (Canada, Mexico, Bahamas). I have seen pictures of pilots using black electrical tape to make temp numbers just for the border crossing.