Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antenna wiring

Default Re: Antenna wiring

I used a silicone resin that is used to seal printed circuit boards, applied with a small brush. After making a clean & secure connection, I think you could use any number of liquid coatings that are water proof after drying or curing - perhaps even something like clear nail polish. I honestly have not had an electrical connection issue of any kind in over 23 years with my first homebuilt, which I still fly regularly. That was one of the details I used where I thought it was beneficial on that airplane.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Peter, Sounds like you thought it out pretty well. I think it is a good choice mounting the ADAHRS out in the wing, I could not get scrap from my Dynon magnometer (integral to the EFIS D10A) inside the cockpit. John Pit and others give good techniques for degaussing the fuselage which I did not do. My magnometer is now mounted out in the wingtip and works very well. I don't think the inch or two should mater in your antenna placement but that is just an opinion.
    Also after exposing bare metal for a good antenna ground I used epoxy primer on the area once everything was mounted.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Peter, I too had thoughts about mounting the Skyview adahars in the fuselage but with the multiple problems mounting in the fuselage decided to mount mine in the wing. Dynon recommends that the adahars be mounted within six feet of the centerline of the fuselage. I wonder if located in the wingtip with the movement more exaggerated the response on screen might be too volatile. Mine is located one bay outboard of the fuel tank in the left wing, it is supposed to be installed within one degree of both the verticle and horizontal planes of the airframe. Brass fasteners should be used nothing ferrous near the adahars. Mine is set up to be shimmed with brass washers. I made a sturdy frame from aluminum and a sheet cover of aluminum to provide access. Ran the cable in front of the rear spar just finished covering so haven't installed it through the fuse yet. Hope this helps.
    George Wilkie

you did a nice job on it too George,.. almost ready for paint?
    Chase
    Model 5 OutBack
    912 UL

Just built the spray booth framing today got a ways to go before paint (still can't decide on the colors).

Mounted my Dynon Skyview ADHRS in the fuselage. Works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Nice workmanship Jim, did you have to degauss the frame to get a good compass reading or is it far enough away from everything?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

It seems to be far enough away from ferrous components. No I did not degauss the frame.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS