Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 25 degree rudder left/right deflection.

Default 25 degree rudder left/right deflection.

The instructions say to file the rudder stops to obtain a 25 degree deflection if necessary. When I check mine, right deflection is right on and the left deflection is about 27 degrees. Is this a problem? Thanks.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: 25 degree rudder left/right deflection.

I think the main issue is to make sure the rudder doesn't run into the elevator during any part of its travel. If you get more than 25 degrees of travel I can't see how that would hurt you in anyway.

My thinking is you do not want to be limited in your rudder travel so be sure to check for any interference with the elevator.

Stan,

Had the same situation on my kitfox with the airfoiled tail. I ended up adding some shimming to prevent the rudder from contacting the elevator - I think elevator clearance is the critical issue - make sure you have some by checking the rudder and elevator in all positions before covering. I agree with W.E. - no such thing as too much rudder - but you do need to check elevator clearance.

Sincerely,

Dave S

The main problem you may encounter is releasing your tail wheel too soon to free caster.

I have this issue with my plane. It can make things become very exciting, very quickly in a bad way...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

All,

With Larry's comments on the tailwheel issue, I should mention that my aircraft is a series 7 trigear...sorry for leaving that out on the first post.

DS

KF7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp Drive

A word of caution: I set my rudder angle, 25 degrees, before cover and found out later after cover that I needed to move the 3 mounting points out a little more for proper clearance. I have the SS7 kit with airfoiled tail. Now the rudder angle is a lot more than 25 degrees and I need to add material back onto the rudder stops! So I had to drill and add bolt heads to the stop plate in the rudder. Bottom line is-I could have saved this extra work by waiting until after cover to set my rudder angles. When you cover you add several layers of fabric to the rudder itself and also to the fairing on the back of the fuse. In fact I am going to wait until after final paint (more layers) before I finalize the rudder stops.

Jim

Thanks everyone.I will wait and get it covered before setting and I am installing the Stab and Elev for fit tomorrow (today if I have time).
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Had the same issue but with a slight twist....the rudder stop was slightly misaligned to the left during the welding. In talking with John, its not the actual degree of deflection that's important, its to have as much rudder travel as possible without interfering with the elevator in the up position. Wait to set that until you have the rudder covered as the extra space required for the fabric will cause you to back out the rod ends which will change the stop position.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here's an adjustable solution for the speed tail on the model 7. Just add or subtract washers to adjust the rudder swing. It's accessible after covering.

JP
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes John, that's exactly what I did. I copied your building tip.

Jim