Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Crosswind Landing: Now I'm Really Impressed.

Default Re: Crosswind Landing: Now I'm Really Impressed.

Ha, yes we did meet here... just like i tell everyone.. on line ha ha
    now all i get to do is read about you guys some more.. i gota get my ride here. I don't talk near as much as you but i have to say, the group has been fun and informative... a right good group.
    thanks every one , ok, you too steve for a great few years of reading...
    now ,, some one go hug my fox!

Hi!

I had the same experience like Steve and the good thing is, my camera was activ.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6ZS54_3U5k

Olaf
    Olaf
    Bonn - Germany
    Kitfox III 582 GSC Prop
    Youtube-Channel

Steve, I do cross winds all the time. In my RV I do a crab. yup, just like the big guys they have to crab also, especially when the engine is under the wing, leaves having the low wing thing out of the question. With a low wing I don't like low wing stuff. My strongest was landing over at OSH a couple years ago, it was about 25 to 30 direct. crabbed until touch down and then hit full rudder and straightened her out and hit the brakes, I also had very little flaps on. In the kitfox I fly in and touch down and go cross runway. One time it was blowing so hard I went cross and rolled out onto the taxi way. very fun. I have done the crab thing and did a wheels, as I touched down I hit the rudder. I don't recommend this to anybody that doesn't know his airplane. I was flying so slow, it was like, hay pick up some FOD on the way down the runway. hehe
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Olaf,
    Nice vid. Looks like you handled that like a pro. Nice job.

Slyfox Steve,
    One of the nice things about our Kitfox's is we have the option of slipping and/or crabbing.

I don't like wind. Not my friend at all. I'm way too light (in my opinion). I flew in a 45 mph wind one day coming out of the Utah Canyon Lands backcountry and had to keep telling myself to lighten up my grip on the stick. I thought I was going to tear it off the controls I was gripping so hard. At least it was a quartering tail wind. I looked at my ASI, it showed 100 mph. My GPS said 145mph. At least it got me out of there in a hurry.

Last fall a flight of two of us were coming out of the Idaho Frank Church Wilderness and it was ugly. Windy, clouds, snow and rain, but we were trying to get out ahead of worse weather coming in. Our destination for the evening was a little paved strip at Glenn's Ferry, ID, located in a canyon on the Snake River. The other plane landed first and called out the wind based on his Dynon: 27 mph left front quartering wind. I thought to myself, "Well, that exceeds what the book says my Kitfox will do". No choice except to land. I got it down OK but when I tried to turn off the runway a gust hit me and I couldn't make the turn and ran off the pavement into gravel. I had to just apply the brakes and wait for my buddy to tie his plane down, then return and we wing-walked my Kitfox to the tie down area.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

yup, I remember doing a flight review in a Cessna and having horrible winds. We couldn't untie the plane until I started it and then the instructor untied the plane and I was literally holding the plane in place while using the yoke to hold the plane still. very interesting. All landings were also with a cross wind, 30+. All I can say is I needed the flight review for the year, so I did it. It's the only flight review that I remember, the others, just another one.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Steve were you flying into Logan?

dalords,
    Morgan (Mt Green)
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

The only really memorable cross wind landing I have made was with a flight of four for a must landing for fuel and an overnight at Jackpot, Nevada. Our flight leader estimated the cross wind as 8 kts at 90°.We were landing toward the North with the wind from the West.On the ground and finding the real wind velocity to be 18 kts at 90°, we decided that it would havebeen better to have landed on the long dog leg taxiway to the tiedown and fuel – no fuel there as I write this.

I think two things saved the day for me. First is the estimate of 8kts.I think if I had known it to have been 18. I would have stiffened up, over compensated and messed it up big time.Secondly, back in the day, there was talk on the Kitfox Email List suggesting putting a vertical line on the windshield showing straight ahead with reference to the pilot’s eyes.This was suggested as an alignment check as the side of the cowl, the typical alignment reference, tapers to the spinner on the bump cowl Kitfox. If you use the side of the cowl as an alignment reference, you are flying in a crab – maybe the real reason for the typical one wing low we would so often see in the group flights.I had used the line consciously or unconsciously for several years.When on final, binocular vision while looking at the far end of the runway gave what appeared to be two blue vertical lines- one from each eye – with the end of the runway centered between.Whether consciously or unconsciously This sight picture helped me remain centered as I managed the bank angle to keep the side slip spot on for the “straight” in approach.The landing wasn’t pretty, but no harm no foul.

On the new Model IV, I decided to put something a bit more adjustable for the sight alignment.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Lowell,
    That wire (I think that's what it is) is pretty cool. I, too, used the "magic marker" line on the windscreen trick for a long time when I first started flying my Kitfox. It really helped.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

Thanks Steve, I found that putting some thin line masking tape on the windshield a bit challenging - sitting in position then trying to remember where the tape should be then doing it over and over again. By sliding the slit tube up and down the structural tube and rotating it a bit, it can be positioned fairly easily then tightened.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel