Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 117 of 119 FirstFirst ... 1767107113114115116117118119 LastLast
Results 1,161 to 1,170 of 1183

Thread: Where I Fly.

Default Re: Where I Fly.

I'm envious of all the great fly out locations pictured in this thread. The ones that really catch my eye are almost always in the west but that doesn't mean that there aren't any in the east and it sure doesn't mean those of us on the right coast can't get out and put the KF thru its paces. (I'll be looking for great fly out sites this summer - recommendations are solicited).

Today I took my neighbor up for his first ever small plane experience. After checking out our houses, we headed west to the Blue Ridge for what looked like the possibility of experiencing mountain wave. And - it was there. We connected the secondary and later transitioned to the primary and took the elevator to north of 13,000 ft. I've not flown in winds as strong as today (up to 76 knots) so decided to turn down wind when the cold soak started to get to us to set a personal ground speed record. It came in at 202mph (176 knots) in a LSA qualified airplane. It doesn't mean a thing but what fun on a winter's day!
    202 mph.png

That’s awesome! That had to be a record? Did you turn and go into the wind? That would of been a record for going backwards?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

See, you had a better time today than coming to 0PA2 for a leather burger! Today must have brought back memories of your glider days, what a ride for a first timer.

I donno Jim - If you were to pay for the leather burger, it would have been worth the trip. And, I could have carried my neighbor with me. A twofer.

Dustin - If I had only thought of the backward race, I'd have a record there too!!

Man, that's a lot of wind Darrel! When we get that kind of wind coming over the mountains around here you definitely don't want to be in the air. What were the wind speeds on the ground?
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

John - When we landed, the closest airport (8 miles away) was reporting winds to be 11G17, 270-290. Having flown the Rockies for 13 years, I am still learning the vast differences between winds over the "big" mountain and winds over the Shenandoahs. So far I'm of the opinion that it isn't near as turbulent at the crest and on the lee side - still something to be respected but definitely not the same. Rotors are relatively tame as well and I've yet to see one go to the ground. Also, I'm beginning to believe (right or wrong) that the trees on the downwind surface create a "boundary layer" that belie the wind above. (There sure are a lot of really tall trees out here!! Nothing like the plains of eastern Colorado.) I've seen 4 knots on the ground and 26 knots at 2000 feet - the gradient becomes really noticeable at about 400 feet. Still flying, still learning and the KF is a great machine in which to do it.

I believe that's the fastest kitfox I've see yet! Sounds like fun times.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

It's got me beat. I was flying to Bakersfield from Phoenix in my first KF5. I stopped in Apple Valley to fill up then tried to fly through Tehachapi pass. I noticed that I wasn't going very fast because the cars on the highway were passing me. My GPS indicated 35mph while my airspeed indicated 110. I figured out real quick that I wasn't going to make it on fuel and decided to turn back to Lancaster to fill up again. On my way to Lancaster my GPS speed indicated 195mph while I was still indicating 110 on the airspeed. I never made it to Bakersfield.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Morning breakfast in the desert with friends.

Friday morning 16 aircraft made the 15 minute flight from Indian Hills Airpark to Crooked Tree for a great breakfast. Eggs and ham on the fire pit grill and lots of coffee and breakfast sweets. No calories of course. Perfect weather with 9 am sun chasing everyone out of their light jackets. Two fly overs by a local RV-4 pilot with some sportsman aerobatics to boot and a VW powered Sonex. Always a great time at Crooked Tree.
    BB1D989C-5B03-4E56-A344-D24747879077.jpg
    54E584F9-4DCB-41C2-A321-257BD131F9DA.jpg
    EC9FC748-144F-4A32-AADC-BE3AD0884AE9.jpg

C887C834-20D9-4817-8B5D-14EC14412D89.jpg
    Beautiful Arizona sky.

The night before my brother’s neighbors threw a little hangar party. 65 or 70 of their closest friends dropped by. Food was incredible as was the two full tables of desserts. Their Kitfox had to spend the evening at one of the other neighbors to make room for everyone. Five Kitfox’ live at this airpark.

F7EE4A53-5632-4E83-BDA4-06D2AA2334DC.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

You just have too much fun!! Haha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw