Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Tail dragger towbar

Default Tail dragger towbar

As my Kitfox 2 is a taildragger and i have now to hangar it the wing folded i need to think about making a tow bar for it.
    The problem is that the hangar fit the KF2 but i have VERY small free place around.
    33 ft left and right part and for the length almost nothing.

To go in i will insert it propeller side first, so i can't unfold the left wing to reach the airframe left handle... FIRST problem ) as i have not enough lateral space. Second problem if we suppose i succeed to put it inside when i want to take it out i have to unlock my tailwhell to make it a 180° turn. But you can't do that without going left or right.
    If i insert it opposite side pushing on the propeller i can't control the movement to keep straight on.

So to sum up i NEED a towbar !

I have see that at the lower end of the airframe there exist holes just before the attaching plate for the spring leaf.
    My question is:
    Does anybody adapt a tow bar for a KF taildragger ?
    Can we use these holes ?
    I'm thinking about using my former tailwheel to make a tow bar that can lift the tail.
    I'm open to all ideas

Default Re: Tail dragger towbar

I would think something similar to this tailwheel transporter would work well if it was modified to clear the folded wings. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YO6nLOLYcLc

Those holes were designed for the original tow bar and could be used if you don't mind crawling under the wing to insert pins.

-- Paul S