Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Moving plane in and out of hangar

Default Moving plane in and out of hangar

I usually move my plane in and out of the hanger by grabbing the "handle" on the rear port side of the fuselage. However, from time to time I grab two of the propeller blades close to the hub and pull it out of the hanger. I got to thinking about this and wonder if I could do any damage to something internal by "towing by the propeller". My plane is in the trigear configuration so it follows the nose wheel easily. If I'm pulling it around, should I be using a nosewheel towbar? What's the knowledge base here say?
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Default Re: Moving plane in and out of hangar

Hi Steve, I too have the tri-gear on my model IV. I usually pull the plane forward by the prop near the hub and don't really see any issues in doing so as long as you stay right near the hub. I am planning on making a tow bar to fit in the nose wheel to make pushing back more easy. Anyone else have any thoughts?

WISDAN

well this is my thought. when the prop pulls well it's doing the same thing in flight. I pull my tri gear Rv out this way. lets me check crank end play every time I pull the plane out. how's that for a thought.

If this is a 912 than you can go one step further and check left to right end play and make sure the gear box is ok. I say there is nothing wrong with what you are doing.

I have a tri gear and a tow bar but almost exclusively use the handle on the back in conjunction with the rear stabilizer strut. This way I am looking forward while moving forward and going back is easy once you push the tail down. That said I have no concerns occasionally pulling on the prop close to the hub as others have said.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I'm not sure what kind of thrust bearings the Rotax has on the prop shaft, but the issue is that, when the engine isn't running, you get a rather concentrated "point" load on the bearings & races, possibly causing brinelling. That being said, I've pulled & pushed my Thorp T-18 around by the prop (Lycoming O-320) for 22 years with no problem that I'm aware of. I think it is prudent to avoid a sharp tug (if there is a little bit of fore & aft play, causing a distinct "clunk" - don't think that's good!)
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks for the thoughts. When going backwards (into my hangar) it's actually easier to grab the handle, push down to lift the nosewheel and pull the plane backwards. It's easy to position the plane in just the right spot when it is on the main gear only.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Hi Guys
    I made up a "nose gear shovel" that just slides under the nose wheel, push down on the handle and wheel it in or out. I use 2 wheel barrow tires on the pivot point. Will try and remember a pic.
    Yesterday we took 88 young aviators on our annual COPA for Kids program (Young Eagles) Nice to see our young folks still enjoy flying!!!
    Cheers
    Don

This reminds me of a guy I met at San Manuel Airport several years back. He had a considerable slope going into his hanger and he was quite proud of what he did to combat pushing or dragging his plane up that incline. His solution...He mounted a cable winch at the back of his T-hanger and throws a hook around his tail wheel walking it up pushing a button. I was thinking about that one this morning after filling my tanks, doing a few T & G's, then grabbing that little handle and dragging mine up out of the drainage area between the hangers. I wonder how much winches are going for <g>
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Quote Originally Posted by Av8r3400 View Post
    Thanks Larry, now I'm tempted.
    Dan B