Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: folding the wings with fuel in the tanks

Default folding the wings with fuel in the tanks

I know that in order to trailer the Kitfox, one must empty the wing tanks and use all the support bars etc. If one was just going to fold the wings at the airport and store it in a small hangar with the wings folded, is it necessary to drain the tanks and support the leading edge? Anyone have any experience with this?

Default Re: folding the wings with fuel in the tanks

I used to keep my plane in a hangar where I had to fold my wings, and like you, I didn't want to drain the fuel. So I got enough clear tubing to run from one wing tank cap vent to the other wing tank cap vent, folded the wings and put the plane in the hangar. Seemed to work fine. The tube is a must or your fuel will run out the fuel tank cap vents every time you fold the wings.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Default Re: folding the wings with fuel in the tanks

Hi,
    On my KF5 taildragger I fold the wings for storage .

I put a mark on my wing tank sight gauges that lets me know when the tanks are at approx. half full (wings unfolded ready for flight).

If the fuel is at this mark ,I know I can fold the wings without any fuel coming out the tank caps.

I came to this "safe to fold mark" by, when the wings were folded, filling the fuel tanks to 1 " below the top (room for temp changes) .

Then when I unfolded the wings I marked the sight gauges.

As far as braces, I just use the wing lock back braces that attach thru the fuselage carry thru tube in front of the vertical stabilzer . That keeps everything tight for rolling the plane in and out of my shop ,about 2 plane lengths in all .

I use a piece of yacht rope around the tailwheel for a tow rearwards , around the axles of the summit wheel ski setup for forwards , I was going to make a towbar but this works so well and is so simple that this is how I intend to do it long term.

Hope this all helps, Kevin
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW