Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Flaperon spoiler use

Default Flaperon spoiler use

Does anybody use the flaperon spoiler position on the classic IV? I know it's funtion is to decrease wing lift but was wondering about peoples experience.

Dan Gallow
    Classic IV Jabiru 2200
    Tri-gear

Default Re: Flaperon spoiler use

I occasionally use the full nose up flapperon position if I am dealing with a high wind situation. The jury is out how effective it really is, though.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks for your input!

Dan

There was once a discussion on the spoiler effect of the flaperons. The manual calls for a stop at the forward limit determined by the rigging procedures. A few guys moved the stop forward to reflex the flaperons upward to see what benefits there might be. As I recall, it did't take long for the guys to put the stop back where it was, as apparently you can lose a ton of lift with reflexed flaperons and the guys didn't like the feeling. There were no real control issues, so if you want to try it and report, use your judgement.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 04-30-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Add

Yes I agree. From what I read and understand you are correct about the loss of lift. My manual (2004) has the rigging instuctions for the flaperon range starting at 5 degree's then moving the flap lever aft to 20 degree's. Moving the flap lever forward from the 5 degree position is defined as the spoiler. Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks for the feed back High Wing!

WISDAN

I use the flaperons for pitch trim as I have no elevator trim.Works great! Remember when you trim for pitch you are really trimming the airplane to fly at a certain airspeed. With my flaperon handle full forward I am trimmed for 70 mph, so when I take off with them set this way I am trimmed for a 70 mph climb. When I reach cruise altitude I retrim for 100mph. Using flaperons for pitch trim is a bit less efficient than using elevator trim but the simplicity can't be beat.

JimS

Thanks for the info Jim. I have the same set up on my airplane. I understand how you are trimming your airplane. With your flap lever completly forward are you in the spoiler range? This is how the rigging is called out in the manual and pulling the lever back about an inch puts me at the 5 degree flaperon setting which is concidered the start of the normal flap range then moving it fully aft sets the flaps at 20 degrees. Does that sound correct to you? Thanks again for any help you can give me!

Dan G.
    Model IV / 1200
    Jabiru 2200

WISDAN,
    I think calling them spoilers is incorrect. Spoilers kill lift. The flaperons are actually acting as an elevator as they are behind your CG and are just changing the pitch of your plane, but not by killing any lift. Yours sound like they are set up just right. By having that slight reflex available you can trim to fly hands off at slower than cruise airspeeds. (Helpful when flying with other airplanes that aren't as lightning fast as our Kitfoxes! ).
    JimS

Thanks Jim for your experience in the flaperon system, it really helps me understand better how my Kitfox is set up. I am a long time Skyhawk driver and these flaperons are kind of new to me.

Thanks Again,

Dan