Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is building a S7 with a Rotac Radial?

Default Who is building a S7 with a Rotec Radial?

I recently ordered my S7 and already purchased a Rotec Radial. Airframe arrives in July-August timeframe. I was wondering who else is out there building with a Rotec R2800. I'd love to learn more about their installation and see some pictures, lessons learned, what not to do, etc.

Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    2002 RV-4 Built and sold :-(
    2011 RV-10 Built and Flying :-)
    20?? KitFox S7 - still in the womb ;-)
    Last edited by N213RV; 04-28-2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Fix MIS-spelling

Default Re: Who is building a S7 with a Rotec Radial?

Hi Mike. I fit that description, although my airplane will be something of a Frankenstein for a couple of reasons-

In early 2004 I bought one of the last Series 7 kits from the now-defunct Skystar company. In the period before their bankruptcy, Skystar had some, ahem, interesting business practices. When they went bankrupt, many major parts of my kit were still on backorder...

I also bought my engine fairly early on in my build- people who advise against buying your engine right away are usually giving sound advice My engine mount and a few other FWF parts were provided by third-party via Rotec, so much of my engine installation is different from the FWF kit presently sold by Kitfox for the S7/SS.

For example, I fabricated nearly all of my oil system (lots of parts- dry sump design!), but I don't think that it is functionally much different than the system in the 912/914. My cowling is different too- my cylinders, heads, and exhaust manifold are exposed and my cowling only goes from my firewall to just aft of the cylinders (think of the Spirit of St. Louis but without the large spinner or any cowling forward of the cylinders).

I'm not sure what lessons learned I could offer you that you haven't already learned from building two airplanes. Patience is something I seem to have inherited and being willing to throw discard a bad airplane part and start over is something that I've learned

My engine installation is to the point where I can motor the starter- and some of the oil finds its way to the exhaust. I'm still a long ways off from actually firing it up though.

Hope this helps some
    -Jim

Default Re: Who is building a S7 with a Rotac Radial?

Quote Originally Posted by N213RV View Post
    I recently ordered my S7 and already purchased a Rotac Radial. Airframe arrives in July-August timeframe. I was wondering who else is out there building with a Rotac R2800. I'd love to learn more about their installation and see some pictures, lessons learned, what not to do, etc.

Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    2002 RV-4 Built and sold :-(
    2011 RV-10 Built and Flying :-)
    20?? KitFox S7 - still in the womb ;-)
    I hate to be "that guy", but it's Rotec, not Rotac. They sure don't make it easy with these names. I'm expecting somebody to start selling Retax's any day now.

Mike,
    I'm trying to remember if you are the guy that I helped buy an engine from my friend Jim up in northern MN. Not really related to this thread but I wanted that engine also for either an Aerodromes plane or a Kitfox. You got a super buy on the engine if it was from my friend.
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by WWhunter View Post
    Mike,
    I'm trying to remember if you are the guy that I helped buy an engine from my friend Jim up in northern MN. Not really related to this thread but I wanted that engine also for either an Aerodromes plane or a Kitfox. You got a super buy on the engine if it was from my friend.
    Keith
    Yep, that was me! Jim was also nice enough to drive 1/2 way when I took delivery. I really appreciated that! As you know the engine came ready to run on a trailer test stand. I have run it 3 times and appears to be working great.
    Take Care and thanks again for originally posting the engine for sale! :-)
    -Mike

Sorry , can't help with what to do or not to but I got to fly a model 4 with the Rotec 2800 and it was a blast. Take off Kitfox Model 4 w/Rotec 2800 radial engine.

After the May edition of Sport Aviation gets distributed I'm betting several more will soon be building radial Kitfoxs.

Kitfox Aircrart LLC's Radial Kitfox- "King of Cool".

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Who is building a S7 with a Rotec Radial?

Resending this thread to see who else out there may be building a KF with the Rotec R2800?

Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    Building SS7 Radial

I'm in the process of building the Rotec Radial version of the SS7. Fabric in process.....I'm calling it a "Mini-CoupeR .I changed a few Vertical Stab and Rudder to give it a more Vintage look.
    100_1075.jpg

Looks like your budding an RV also?? I see the horizontal in the picture.

On your KitFox, have you worked on the FWF yet? Do you have your engine yet?

I'm still fairly early in the build. I'm just installed the floors, foot pedals, center console and started fitting the Firewall. I already have the engine and FWF kit, so I'm looking forward and trying to figure out where all the stuff goes. I was hoping to find a few others with pictures or advice on what works or doesn't work.

Thanks
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 sold
    RV-10 flying
    Radial KitFox SS7 building

I have the engine already and prop being built. Also in the process of selling the RV7 project....... maybe just a little overambitious ! I want to get the fuselage covered before I get working on the firewall forward. I'd be glad to compare notes when I get to that.
    Attached Images Attached Images