Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: ELT Antenna Location

Default Re: ELT Antenna Location

I have a Model 3 I am rebuilding. I note the advice about putting the ELT antennae inside the fuselage. Has there been any concern or discussion about the UV paint with aluminum in it to reduce the effectiveness of the antennae inside? Thanks all.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sands View Post
    I have a Model 3 I am rebuilding. I note the advice about putting the ELT antennae inside the fuselage. Has there been any concern or discussion about the UV paint with aluminum in it to reduce the effectiveness of the antennae inside? Thanks all.
    Steve
    My KF3 had it inside. Probably does mess up the antenna pattern some. Notice you don't see the COM antenna being placed there.

Better question is whether the ELT has much use at all other than satisfying the regulations.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Many of us have placed our Com antenna beneath the fabric. I didn't and Im pretty sure that some who have, have reported far better reception/xmsn than I. I recall someone who has 50 miles range with his internal mounted antenna.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

As far as the real life importance of ELTs in general, I have my opinions.

1. if the ELT is an older 121.5 MHz ELT, it still satisfies the regulations, but in my opinion that is all it does. 121.5 is no longer monitored by satellite and being line of sight, would be like looking for a needle in a haystack to locate you. Airborne aircraft can pick them up but then someone has to figure out where they are using directional antennas and the like to zero in on the location. For this type, I think, do whatever to satisfy the regulation, but if you are really going to be over hostile terrain, buy a personal locator beacon, put a mount on the panel, and if say you lose engine power, push the SOS button. Will be better than that 121.5 ELT (see below)

2. New 406 MHz ELTS - These can actually save your life. The 406 are monitored by satellite and can be connected to a GPS, or have an internal GPS that broadcasts your position if triggered. No direction finding, no fiddling, a Lat-lon is transmitted from the unit to the satellite. The caveat is that it has to activate and it has to not get ripped from the antenna. Definitely better than a 121.5 ELT.

PLBs - Personal locator beacons are sold for outdoor enthusiasts, hikers, climbers, etc. Doesn't mean we can't use them in our airplanes. They don't get activated by a G-switch like an ELT. For the SOS feature you have to push a button, but like the 406 ELT, the PLB broadcasts an alert and your position on 406 MHz to satellites to give instant position. Also, PLBs have a breadcrumb tracking feature where loved ones can track your progress on an online interface even in non-emergency situations. Lets say you are overdue on a flight. Even if you didn't have a chance to push the SOS, the breadcrumbs will get rescuers close and give them a good idea where you might be. This is better than a 121.5 ELT.

So I have 2 projects, one simple, one more complex. The more complex KF4 that has the G5, autopilot, 912, etc. is getting a 406 ELT. The simple KF4 with basic instruments and a 2-stroke 582 is keeping the near useless 121.5 ELT to satisfy the regs, and I'm making a little mount to hold the SPOT PLB that I have. I'll probably put a mount for the PLB in the other airplane too. One factor in that decision is the fact that I live in northern Illinois where it is flat as a table and there aren't many places I can crash that someone would not see and know about it.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)