Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ready to start gluing ribs.

Default Ready to start gluing ribs.

I have some questions about using the Hysol A&B. What has been the best method to measure the A&B for a good 1:1 mix? Is the cotton flox mixed with the 1:1 mix for the ribs and if so how much flox is mixed with it? Is the syringe the best way to apply the adhesive?
    For some reason this is spooking me.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Default Re: Ready to start gluing ribs.

Quote Originally Posted by inzersv View Post
    I have some questions about using the Hysol A&B. What has been the best method to measure the A&B for a good 1:1 mix? Is the cotton flox mixed with the 1:1 mix for the ribs and if so how much flox is mixed with it? Is the syringe the best way to apply the adhesive?
    For some reason this is spooking me.
    Stan,
    I have had good luck with eyeballing the 1to1 mix. If you take a plastic spoon for each part and dip the same out of each...mix them well...You will be just fine. A syringe works well to get into tight spots but if you are mixing with flox, your viscosity will be going up and may not be appropriate. Surprisingly a plastic baggie (sandwich bag) works great by snipping the corner off to the appropriate bead size. As far as how much flox you add... just add enough to retard the drip or sag. Playing with the stuff is the best way to learn. jump in with both feet
    and enjoy the process. You will do fine.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Don't hesitate to practice mixing and gluing random stuff together.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

We used an electronic scale to measure out the parts prior to mixing with great success. As far as applying the Hysol goes, most of ours went on with Popsicle sticks/tongue depressors, smoothed with fingers and spoons. Not the best solution, but the lesson here is that there are many solutions given enough patience!

I found mixing Hysol in a cut down paper cup is easiest to get a good mix. I use Popsicle sticks or tongue depressors for mixing. I also cut the end of mixing sticks square with scissors for better scraping of the cup bottom.

If using the plastic sandwich bag for application place your hand into the bag, get a scoop of Hysol with a tongue depressor and wipe it off with your bagged fingers while turning the bag inside out. This keeps the Hysol off you and transfers the glue to the bag with ease.

I keep a tongue depressor inside the white component can and always use it in my mixing cup first. This prevents contamination with the other part and saves on mixing sticks. I then use another xtick to scoop up the grey component and do the mixing.

Be sure you do not skip any cleaning when doing gluing. Clean and prep all bondin surfaces. Some pieces like the false ribs do not have a lot of contact area for bonding so it is important to have a clean surface.

The one to one mix ration is not that critical. spoons, dollops, scoops or eyeballs all produce a mix that is incredibly strong. Hysol is very forgiving.

When gluing the ribs, mark the positions very carefully. Your flaperon hinges depend on the ribs being positioned exactly right.

To make a clean looking glue fillet around the rib to spar joint,, mark your rib position on the spars then push them to the side about 2 inches. Apply tape around the spar about 1/4 inch from the location marks to prevent smears. Apply your Hysol on the spar and slide the rib into position. With a little back and forth motion you will create a a nice looking fillet. Remove the tape.

John

I found using the cheap plastic syringes from Kitfox work very well for applying a nice consistent bead of Hysol around the spars and anywhere else, with very little mess. Then I used my fingerdipped in alcohol to finish the fillet. Get a bunch of the syringes, they are cheap. But they can be cleaned and reused many times; the dried Hysol does not stick to the plastic very well and can easily be popped off and scraped clean.

Jim

I've got to admit I have not used the Hysol now used with the wing kit, but I regularly use another Hysol formula and have built a wing using the 3M adhesive supplied in the old days. Then we were instructed to use a wet finger to create the fillet. The alcohol wetted finger sounds like a winner to me. We used just water, and it worked fine, especially if the work was checked for sags every hour or so during the curing process. In the day, we found that ribs could sometimes slide a bit during the curing process moving them from the ideal position especially in the veritical where it is desired to have all capstrips exactly level. The factory built ribs suffered from this creep as well as lots of builders used heat guns to reposition factory glued ribs to get things lined up. Regarding mix ratio. My Hysol calls for a 100:23 ratio. That sounds pretty specific to me. I do fudge a bit and convert that to 4:1, but in my own mind, the manufacturer specifies a mix ratio that gives greatest strength in the cured resin - any deviation, I am almost certain, results in a degredation of the strength. Like others, I use an electronic scale, they are inexpensive and simple to use. Simply turn it on, place the mixing container on it, press the Tare button to zero the scale and add the stuff. I use it for every mix - Hysol, epoxy, urethane foam and urethane rubber. I used to use an eyeball system, but in mixing epoxy with microballoons for a filler, if the proportions of resin and hardner were off by much it greatly affected the consistency of the final cured "micro" making it rubbery and very difficult to sand. Typically after a structrure is finished we pretty much leave it alone except to maybe poking it with a fingernail, not really knowing the nature of the final cured resin, but with "Micro" we get to really check how it cured and after a couple of days, if the sandpaper still fills with gunk, it was a bad mix - then what to do. In thinking of the Lancair I worked on, I can't imagine getting in a plastic airplane where the epoxy mixes were eyeballed. There they routinely used a calibrated proportioning pump but it was cost effective because gallons of the stuff was used.
    Lowell

I used a coke can or pepsi can and turned it up side down.fill half with part A and half with part B,, level of course.easy to mix with the concave bottom, and you wont up with more than you can use at one time. Popsicle sticks work well for mixing and some spreading. I bought a box of 500 for just a few bucks at craft store. Make sure you use separate stick when doing from can A and B. Throw can away after each use or recycle if your feeling green.

IMPORTANT

The Hysol 9460 structural epoxy has a mix ratio of 1:1 by weight not volume.

Granted they are very close but one is heavier than the other. Mixed in small quantities the difference may be insignificant. But the ratio is 1:1 by weight.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Thanks John, THAT is a deal-changer for the eyeball method. hope my plane don't fall apart in flight now
    Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by jdmcbean View Post
    IMPORTANT

The Hysol 9460 structural epoxy has a mix ratio of 1:1 by weight not volume.

Granted they are very close but one is heavier than the other. Mixed in small quantities the difference may be insignificant. But the ratio is 1:1 by weight.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ