Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Low Fuel Sensor

Default Re: Low Fuel Sensor

So anyone wanting to add or retrofit their header tank for a low fuel sensor.

Drilled and tapped to 3/8". Worked with no issues.

IMG_3282.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jerrytex View Post
    So anyone wanting to add or retrofit their header tank for a low fuel sensor.

Drilled and tapped to 3/8". Worked with no issues.

IMG_3282.jpg
    Nice work; do you happen to have pics of the sensor when it's NOT installed?

So where are you going to put the fuel return line? That port that you enlarged for the low fuel sensor is usually used for the return line fitting. Again I wonder why not use the factory low fuel sensor kit and then everything goes together easy-peasy.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

The return line will Tee into the vent line.

This set up is just like the original factory poly tank and I used the same port it used for the low fuel sensor. So however people were running their return line originally, is how it would have to be run with this set up.

The low fuel sensor tank from KF is $182. That's a lot of money (I know, subjective when dealing with airplanes) for an aluminum can. in addition, it's more weight (negligible), 2 more connections to leak, and more fuel line to replace (i guess one could hard plump it in with aluminum, but as it comes, it's hose)

I just thought I would share this since this is a great forum for ideas whether or not you use them is up to you.

Pic of sensor.

IMG_3283.jpg

Jerry, just an FYI. The low fuel sensor you have pictured looks like the original sensor SkyStar sold way back when. As I recall that when auto fuel was predominantly used with that type, many of those sensors failed due to the plastic tips cold flowing (melting) into the bottom of the header tanks.
    Also I believe it is an optical type sensor so I’m wondering if it will even work in a totally dark aluminum tank. There are several members here who are more familiar with that early set up that could shed light on the function of that type sensor. Hopefully you will hear from some of them or test it’s function before going to any more efforts to incorporate it into you fuel system. I hope my memory is faulty and it will work perfectly but just in case, I had to mention it. Good luck.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Jerry, just an FYI. The low fuel sensor you have pictured looks like the original sensor SkyStar sold way back when. As I recall that when auto fuel was predominantly used with that type, many of those sensors failed due to the plastic tips cold flowing (melting) into the bottom of the header tanks.
    Also I believe it is an optical type sensor so I’m wondering if it will even work in a totally dark aluminum tank. There are several members here who are more familiar with that early set up that could shed light on the function of that type sensor. Hopefully you will hear from some of them or test it’s function before going to any more efforts to incorporate it into you fuel system. I hope my memory is faulty and it will work perfectly but just in case, I had to mention it. Good luck.
    Personally I would prefer a sender and low fuel light for each wing capacity; I understand some feel this is complexity and more this and more that means more leaks but the reality is if proper installation procedures, maintenance, and components prevents these perceived issues.

They work in the dark. The conical tip is a prism and there's an LED and a sensor inside. When immersed in liquid, the light escapes from the prism due to the refractive index of liquid against the prism surface, but when dry, it's reflected back (or maybe it's the other way around...).

I don't know what the old sensors were made of, but the ones I've seen lately are made of a plastic called Polysulfone, which is pretty chemically inert. As I recall, it got an A rating with gasoline (no reaction) and a B with 100LL (minimal reaction). The table I saw didn't define "minimal reaction." I believe it got an A with ethanol as well.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

It looks like the Carlo Gavazzi VP03E sensor pictured above comes "in a Polyamide 12 housing resistant to various solvents." See datasheet here. According to this article, Polyamide 12 is used in the automotive industry to make gasoline resistant tubes.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Thanks Desertfox4....turns out your memory is just fine. I sent an email to the the sensor manufacturer and they DO NOT recommend it for fuels.

I"ll look toward getting the float type instead.

Appreciate the heads up!

No luck on finding a 3/8" float type sensor and I don't want to use an optic sensor that will melt away. I think I could drill and tap to 1/2" npt but it wouldn't leave much of a collar and I think the collar is too deep for the float sensor to work properly anyway. I think I am abandoning the idea of adding the sensor in the header tank.

Could someone post some pics of the remote low fuel sender tanks and set up showing the actual sensor location. I think it's what I had on my KF 4 but I just want to be sure.

Does it just use the vent line? In other words, does it run from the header tank into remote tank, from remote tank to right fuel tank?

Thanks.