Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Low Fuel Sensor

Default Low Fuel Sensor

I just purchased the Kitfox low fuel sensor option for my SS7. It came with a separate small round aluminum tank to mount the sensor in. This tank/housing is then mounted above the header tank, in the vent line. I know many of you just mount the fuel sensor in the upper side port on the header tank without using the additional housing that Kitfox provides.

I would like to hear some pros and cons of each method. Obviously the higher mounted separate housing would give you earlier warning of low fuel, but its extra complexity and more potential leak points. Any other opinions would be appreciated.

Jim

Default Re: Low Fuel Sensor

I have the aluminum header tank behind the co-pilots seat with the sensor mounted in the tank. Either system works well.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I also have a aluminum tank , but its mounted aft of the cargo bag . It's a custom 2 gal tank with the level sensor from spruce installed in it . Works well. Also I know of a speedster with the can sensor installed in the vent hose that also has been working well . Guess you could call it a crap shoot .
    chuck
    kitfox IV 1050
    912ul warpdrive
    flying B , yelm, wa

I have the same little tank inline. Seems to work fine. I did have a bit of a challenge getting the sensor sealed the first time and had a bit of a fuel leak to deal with.

Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

I would never want to be that low on fuel
    Dj Series 6

Would like to revisit this topic.

I have a 4-1200 w/ center high mount poly header tank, which would seem to preclude using the 'aux tank for sender' style low fuel warning.

Header tank has (3) 'in' ports, (1) ea. for L/R wing supply and the vent line and single lower 'out' port, with no sump quick drain or extra port/fitting for the ACS 6905-400 low fuel sensor.

Best option short of switching to a new aluminum 'behind the seat' header tank?

When using a [new, ethanol resistant] HWllc vent line sensor, is it best to install as low as possible in the vent line to minimize false alerts (resulting in a near horizontal orientation), or does the sensor body need to be in a completely vertical orientation to operate properly?

Thnx.
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)

Dhollly,

I have the same set up as you with the center, higher mount header tank. The Aux tank with the sensor in it, is mount horizontal on top of the poly tank. If I get by the airport, I'll take a pic if that will help.

Quote Originally Posted by hansedj View Post
    I would never want to be that low on fuel
    I had plenty of fuel when my low fuel light came on during a cross country. Got my attention and I was on the ground at the closest airport in about 10 minutes. There are fuel supply issues besides running out of gas. I had a bad seal on a cap and the suction was able to prevent fuel flow once the level in the tanks had dropped to a lower level. Bought new gaskets as suggested on this forum and that fixed the problem.

Henry

If I understand correctly, you can add a low fuel sensor directly to the aluminum header from Kitfox? However, I see on this thread that the low fuel sensor goes in a small cylinder tank above the header tank? The aluminum tank I have from Kitfox, has a 1/4" pipe connection on the side. The low fuel sensor that I have, is 1/2". Did something change on the header tanks? Or is there an adapter to convert to 1/2"?

The Low Fuel sensor is a separate tank that installs just over the header tank and sold as a kit form Kitfox.