Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Rotax 912 iS

Default Re: Rotax 912 iS

I'm hoping ULPower proves to be just as reliable as the Rotax. At around 180 lbs wet for 130 ponies, being fuel injected and just a grand or so more than the 912, I would prefer to go with ULPower's 350iS.
    Enjoy your UL 350 - I'm hoping it works out for you. They are a good looking engine. Expensive though if it does not pan out.

You mention reliability in relation to Rotax. ULPower would have to sell 10,000 engines a year for 10 years to come close to the proven in-service hours Rotax has accumulated already. You're giving them an unattainable goal. The old argument about Rotax's high rpm's being a concern has long since been proven a non-factor.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Anyone have any proven results with the 912is vs Uls? I think the mcbeans installed one but not sure what they thought about it performance/cost/efficiency wise. Thanks in advance.

Last year while at Oshkosh I talked with John about the 912is versus the 914 Turbo. He seemed really like it. I asked which he preferred, the Turbo versus the injected, and he said the 912is. Give him a call he will give you his thoughts.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

You mention reliability in relation to Rotax. ULPower would have to sell 10,000 engines a year for 10 years to come close to the proven in-service hours Rotax has accumulated already.
    Tell that to all the 912 flyers who are grounded right now waiting for the 6 month backlog of floats to clear up so they can fly again!

The old argument about Rotax's high rpm's being a concern has long since been proven a non-factor
    It may be a "non-factor" but he said:
    (those high RPMs really don't appeal to me)
    As they don't appeal to many - like me - high revving, with another maintenance point, being gear driven. It's not an argument (unless you make it one), it's a preference - whats wrong with that?

Why would a manufacturer need to produce 100,000 engines to be deemed as reliable? Yes Rotax has sold a bunch, but not all 100% reliable - they've had a few issues to. To be "as reliable" does not necessarily need to equal quantity sold or "in service hours" - which by the way - is a complete unknown.

I like pepperoni on my pizza too!

Smile Re: Rotax 912 iS

Thanks Paul, I will give him a call. Big bores, uls, 912is, The UL engines, there's a lot to consider. Window shopping is the easy part.