Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rotax 912 iS

Default Re: Rotax 912 iS

thanks for the videos Eric.It looks like the ECU and the Fuel system is on the pilot side of the fire wall. Will there be enough room for all of that in a Kitfox IV?

I want one...any one up for a 912S, less than 200 hours, runs perfect

The IV cannot use the Rotax "ring" style engine mount because the oil tank is in the way. (mounted high and behind the motor)

Now if John can work up a ring style mount for the IV then this and the 914 become possibilities in it.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Really, not to rain on the parade, but come on... isn't it about time Rotax came around to the current century? Everyone's going crazy over this, but with the current price of the ULS I wouldn't be surprised if this thing costs near $30 grand. Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one, but this wasn't by any means a difficult task to complete and should have happened years ago. .

Thank the lawyers and liability issues. I know for fact from friends at BRP that they have been looking for injector suppliers for the past 5 years at least for this application.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I vote for innovation. This is very cool to see and I can't wait to get to fly in one in the future. Maybe not on my plane for a few years, but neat still.
    Andy Karmy
    Kitfox 7 - 912S - SOLD
    Auburn, WA

http://kitfoxflying.com

Wow, this catches me at a bad time. I am about ready to order my engine and FW kit for my SS7 and really am interested in the new 912is. But I don't want to delay my build while I wait for more info such as price, engine mounting and potential changes to the FW kit. It could be many months before Kitfox comes up with a new FW kit for this engine. I would hope John McBean will put all available resources to work immediately on getting this great new engine ready to sell and install, especially for us first time builders who don't want to have to pioneer a new installation and accessory package.

Jim

I agree with your sentiments Jim. I am very interested in this engine. Fortunately I may have some time before I order my engine since my kit is supposed to ship out this week.
    Stan Inzer
    912 ULS
    Dynon Skyview 10"
    N599KF

Fortunately you have at least 9 months or more to make the engine decision I am faced with right now.

Jim

Just a quick note: We are working on it..

This is not the same engine.. there are many changes.. not just the injection... Sensors are different, fuel system is very different, not only delivery. Electrical is different... Block and Camshaft are different.. this really a NEW engine..

We are filling potential orders for the engine currently. If you are seriously interested please contact us so we can include you on the list.

We do not have pricing or any other details currently and as soon as we do we will share the info..

Below is some of the FAQ's from a Rotax source...

Can I retro-fit the injection to the engine?NO, it is a new engine with new block, crankshaft, ignition to name a few parts. More than 60% of the parts in the iS have new part numbers or are newly created just for this engine.

Can I retro-fit this into my existing aircraft?Perhaps, but the recommended method is to have the OEM, (airframe producer) proof the first installation and make the recommendation. The fuel system and electrical system have significant differences.

When is it available?Some engines will be coming soon, currently the ones on hand are for OEM to do first installations and proof the airframe. Serial production starts in a few months.
    Last edited by jdmcbean; 03-13-2012 at 05:12 PM.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

Just think of all the used 912S and 912UL engines that soon hit the market from upgrades to the new motor...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos