Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: windshield or engine?

Default windshield or engine?

I am at the point where I have a decision to make. I can do the final install of the engine or install the windshield on my model IV. The engine has been on and the cowlings have all been fit. The panel is done and almost all wiring is complete and the firewall is installed. It seems that it might be easier to install the LP Aero windshield with the engine not in the way? But then again the final engine installation and hookup might be easier with the windshield not installed. What do you all think?

Thanks!
    Last edited by henrysamson; 03-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.

Default Re: windshield or engine?

I did the windshield last.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I did as Dorsal did for the behind the panel wiring etc. But -- Could you fit the windshield then remove it to do the final engine install, then when everything is done, install the windshield. I used the Polycarbonate, but it was fitted first with all holes drilled, then the windshield portion was unscrewed and held up out of the way for the wiring, etc. I used lacing cord to tie in the wiring, and can't imagine doing that with the windshield finished. I just finished that part and it is fresh in my mind.
    Lowell

I recently finished up these things on the IV as well and Lowell has a good point...if you still have some of the wiring to finish up, get that out of the way B-4 you set the windshield. It makes access to some spots a little cumbersome.
    Good luck with the LP windshield and make sure you use the suggested plastic drill bits. I still have nightmeres about that day...more like PTSD
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ