Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats under your Seat ???

Default Re: Whats under your Seat ???

I think the pipe strap might be a waste of time as the max.load rating is only 10 pounds. Just my opinion.

Using metal strapping is a fresh idea, as far as my memory goes. Wood blocks and Nylon straps have been mentioned. I didn't think about the mild steel's yield strength, but did think about the 4130 strips available at ACS - available in numerous widths and thicknesses. Actually hardware store parts have been sort of a don't go there issue in our neighborhood ever since Rev. Bill built his Dean Wilson designed biplane (pictured below) - which he planned on using in his African humanitarian efforts. It was the talk of the town that much of the materials came from Ace Hardware.
    Lowell

Notice the multi-layered flaperons for superior STOL performance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Not sure why the strapping is only rated at 10 pounds. Assuming it's mild steel (worst case) the tensile strength would be around 60,000 psi. Based on 24 gage (.0239 inches thick) and 1/2 inch width (3/4 inch minus a 1/4 inch hole) the cross sectional area is .01195 square inches so the strap should hold just over 700 pounds until it fails in tension. Two straps would be good for 1400 pounds (almost 3g with 500 pounds worth of pilot and passenger).

A thicker (.038 inches) strapping material is also available which would increase the load to 1140 pounds per strap or around 4.5 g with 2 straps and 500 pounds of weight on the seat. With 4130 steel, the loads could increase by about 1.66 times that of mild steel since the tensile strength of 4130 is around 100,000 psi.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/DMC-Hanging-Strap-4NCC6?cm_sp=IO-_-Home-_-VTV70300505&cm_vc=HPPVZ3

Again, this is just to suppliment the design that only calls for tie wrapping the seat lips to the fuse tubing....so far hundreds of landings and it hasn't let me down yet. Could also double up the strapping on each side to be conservative.

I used the 1 inch yellow tie down strap 15' long from local home builders store. (home depot) 1000 lbs rating, under the pilot seat only. Light weight easy to work with. Also runs under the seat 3 times if you use the 15 foot piece.
    CZKREE
    Super Sport
    Rotax 912ULS
    N628ST

I don't know why the rating is only 10 pounds either but in your original reference to Grainger these are the specs. for the strap.

Item Hanging Strap
    Type Perforated
    Max. Load (Lb.) 10
    Material of Construction Electro-Galvanized Steel
    Length (In.) 120
    Width (In.) 3/4
    Description/Special Features Light Duty, Residential Pipe Support; Strap Gauge 24
    Package Quantity 1