Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: fuel lines

Default Re: fuel lines

My opinion. The gas colator at the low point on the firewall may not be effective as a sump to trap water. If there is any up slope anywhere in the line from the header to the gas colator, water will be traped behind the high points in that line. Another problem is that water could freeze in flight in the winter.

Some builders have installed a T on the outlet of the header. One line straight down to a sump that has a quick drain under the belly and one straight forward like you plan.

FWIW I have a gascolator at the low point on the fire wall like you plan. I have the old fashoned style panel tank that acts as header, so the fuel lines from the wings are steadly down slope to the gascolator. No high spots in the fuel line.

I would keep the gascolator on the fire wall, but add a sump under the header for water. The gascolator also serves as a filter...you can get different screen sizes to comply with you engine manufactor recomendations on filter micron size.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Sorry for being away so long...got tied up in family stuff and EAA Chapter activities.

I do plan on putting shutoff valves on wing tanks. I think that is a good idea, and they will be visible from the cockpit, and part of the preflight checklist.

The way I plan to route the fuel lines, the gascolator will be at the lowest level when the aircraft is sitting in its normal position on the ground, by quite a bit. I will take care to make sure that the fuel line goes uphill from there to the header tank. So, it should be OK.

Thanks again for all the help. Some excellent observations and suggestions!

How do you see fuel flowing through tubing without air bubbles in the line?

A fuel line that is full but plugged looks the same as a fuel line full and flowing.

JP
    Last edited by jtpitkin06; 06-21-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: verb