Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: antenna location/mount

Default antenna location/mount

I searched and found very little on antenna information. The original builder of my plane attached the comm antenna to the battery shelf behind the baggage area. Nice clean installation but since it is surounded by tubing, the radio doesn't transmit very well at all. I want to relocate the antenna outside the fuselage. I am looking for ideas on both where to put it and how to mount it. I don't see any plates or anything on the upper part of the fuselage. There is a plate on the bottom but that is where I have my transponder antenna. Any ideas or suggestions?

Default Re: antenna location/mount

Jerry,

For our series 7 - see attached photo for mounting plates on the top of the fuse. The photo looking at the top is the plate welded into the tube frame as it came from the factory which I used to mount the com antenna. The photo of the fuse upside down shows a second plate which is riveted into place on the back edge of the turtle deck - could also be used for antenna mount.

Also installed a ground plane under the fabric for the com antenna.

No problems with transmission.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks for the pics. I have the bottom plate, but I don't see the top Plate. I think when they rebuilt my fuselage, they cut that plate out. I need to figure out a way to make/mount something comparable.

Jerry,
    I'm going to offer some help. As I recall, you are building a Model IV. I have made several mounts for my IV and the V that I helped with that attach to the tubing without interfering with the fabric. They are welded units but are bolt on. If you think this will work for you send a PM.
    Lowell

Jerry,

They may have not cut the plate out. When I ordered my model IV each plate was an option. I think $25.00 each. One may have been included but I don't remember. There where four plates available. Two on the bottom, just aft of the seats on each side. Two on the top centerline. I had all of them put on. The transponder antenna is mounted to one of the bottom plates and I have the comm and elt on the top plates.

I looked through some of the builders pics from before I got the partially completed kit and noticed that there are no plates on the top before covering. Highwing hooked me up with an idea that I think I am going to try using a plate and a clamping process.

After the fiasco at Brenham over the weeked, getting my radio working 100% is top priority.