Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: flaprons

Default flaprons

new to this lest see if i get the terminology correct, the flaprons are shipped already assembled, i noticed they rivet them and the rivet sticks up and it looks tacky, has anyone removed those and replaced with a double headed rivet to get a cleaner look?

Default Re: flaprons

The flaperons that I got from the factory for my 4 did not come riveted. They glued the trailing edge with hysol and it is up to the builder to rivet them. I used flush rivets and I think you'll find that most people on this forum recommend them as well.

i inhereted this thing and as i read thru the instruction it gives you no instruction except to glue the foam as a end cap, i think i will remove the rivets and restall flush rivets. thanks for the advice.

I used solid rivets. I don't recall if the manual calls for pop rivets or not. I used flush rivets countersunk on top and then put a round head rivet die opposing the flat die in the squeezer and it gives a nice rounded end to the squeezed part of the rivet. After paint, I can't see the rivets on the top and the bottom are nice short rounded buttons.
    Lowell

I used pulled rivits. Didn't like how they looked so drilled them out and squeezed flush rivits.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)