Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Idle speed

Default Idle speed

Ran the 912S for the first time yesterday. What a kick. Fired right up. The Dynon seems to be reading everything as it should. Did some cleaning up of the Dynon screen today and ran it again. Bone dry with nothing dripping.

What's a good idle? Seems mine is happy and above the gearbox rattle zone at about 1650. Right now, have the Warp Drive at 12.5 degrees. Just wondering if this RPM at idle will be fine. Not interested in having a plane that likes to float to the numbers at the other end of the runway...

Thanks!

I have mine set at 1800 with no problems on landing. I do not have the clutch so a firm pull on the throttle gives me 1600 for smooth shut down. I think 1800 is the minumum recommended.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

My 914 documentation recommends 1400 as the idle. Don't know if it is the same with the 912.

84KF

My 912UL is ok at 1200-1400 for a low idle with a Warp Drive 3 blade. Very smooth. Any less and you feel a slight shake. 1600-1800 is extra smooth but it just seem a tad to much for mine.
    Normal taxi will find me picking up speed and the need to (almost) ride the brakes. Being able to pull it back when necessary is helpful. (The brakes will get HOT. I know... I just had to touch one after a typical taxi back to the hanger trying to manage speed with the normal idle speed.

I don't have a clutch though and I believe that is a factor to consider