Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: cutting cockpit noise?

Default Re: cutting cockpit noise?

HIgh Country:

The Aluminum is just 5052-H33, which I have used before on floor boards for my sonerai and liked it as it is very corrosion resistant , cheapish and easy to work with. These plates are made from 0.040 thickness metal, but are really very stiff with the shimming in place, so I think I could have gone with 0.032 and been just fine. With shimming, seam-locks and large magnesium tube spacers in place (red and green block, see below), the total weight was 3 lbs 11 OZ.

I am not sure what wood floor boards weight, but these things are stiff as heck and strong enough too. Strong enough to act as penetration protect in the even I land on a fence or something.

With smaller spacers and shims, and using 0.032 thick metal, I think I could have built the floor boards under 3 lbs for sure.

Roger

I meant to post this earlier. I wonder how this would work for firewall heat and sound reduction.

http://www.eastwood.com/thermo-coustic_barrier_video
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

sounds good!!!
    Wonder how fire resistant? and how heavy?
    Dave
    Dave Holl
    Building Kitfox MK7
    Rotax 912ULS

Looks like that Eastwood product is 0.75 lb per square foot.
    Doug
    Super Sport
    912ULS
    Constant Speed IVOProp

I always thought there isn't much one can do about sound-proofing in a tube-and-rag plane: you litterly sit next to the engine/prop combination....

Anyway: I used HeatBlock (pointed u=out on this very Forum, though): take a look at their site http://www.heatblok.com/product.html
    The material comes with a couple of sheets report about heat, but Volvo uses it as a sound-absorber as well, so I guess that kind of info should be somewhere, out there.

Quote Originally Posted by dginok View Post
    Looks like that Eastwood product is 0.75 lb per square foot.
    Sounds like it fits all the requirements of the sound engineer at the EAA meeting. Heavy to prevent the material simply becoming a sound transmitter, rubbery to absorb vibration and with the aliminum skin. The engineer with a smile suggested we use a sheet of lead. I also like the hearing aid solution, except I suspect the sound is still beating on the ears even though we can't hear it.
    Lowell