Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Kitfox Aircraft and Stick & Rudder - Sebring & Bahama Bound 2012.

Default Re: Kitfox Aircraft and Stick & Rudder - Sebring & Bahama Bound 2012.

Soooo Cool. Absolutely beautiful!
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Flying in circles leaving the bahamas
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

What a privilege to have met with John McBean at College Station yesterday. I was flying a King Air 350 and we'd just shot an approach to RWY 16. We decided to do some pattern work there and heard over the radio, while on downwind, that "Kitfox 102YB was inbound for landing RWY 16, full stop, College Station" and knew that it was John. We took a very brief moment to stop at the base of the tower (thank you Easterwood Tower) and I had the distinct privilege to meet John and sit in his beautiful plane. I only had a brief moment. My plane was still running with my co-pilot at the controls, and gas isn't cheap! BTW, Just for anyone wondering about the Kitfox and their fit...I'm 6' 2", 220lbs and John and I fit in it just fine. It's super comfortable and very roomy for a couple of full grown men in a two seat, side-by-side.

Anyhow....thanks John for hanging around so I could meet you.
    Chris Holaday
    Looking at the Model 5 or newer for size!

Homeward bound.

The second night - after a 4 hour trip around the Gulf. Leaving the ocean tomorrow - heading inland.
    Leaving Destin.jpg
    South Mississippi Light Aircraft - one of 4 Rotax overhaul facilities in the country.
    Their beautiful grass strip - like landing on a golf fairway.
    South Mississippi Light Aircraft - one of 4 Rotax overhaul facilities in the country.jpg
    Just into NM - Mother nature called - not on the chart or GPS moving map
    Just into NM - Mother nature called - not on the chart or GPS moving map.jpg
    Paul found this strip last year on my way to Sebring
    but too heavy, hot, and late to safely try it. 7050' msl - sloped - obstacles - 1000' useable - probably a no go around.
    We were met by an adjacent land owner - he said "we were the FIRST airplanes to ever land there!
    Paul found this strip last year on my way to Sebring.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Looks like y'all made it back to Idaho. It was entertaining to
    following your flight. It gave me something interesting to do and watch while I was working in the Rock Pit!
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

"If the person in or near the College Station area is willing to give out his name. I wouldn't mind flying down to meet him/her. We can compare planes and do some flying!"

Hello Paul

I am down in College Station. If I would have known that the McBeans were stopping in at Easterwood, I would have stopped by. Anyway, feel free to fly down anytime or come to one of our meetings at our new EAA chapter 1531 over in Bryan.(Coulter Airfield KCFD) Meets the third Saturday at 9am. This is a Kitfox rich area. There are three Kitfoxes in our chapter alone. There is a guy in the Waco Chapter that is seriously considering putting on a Kitfox fly-in in the next few months so I'll send a message if it comes to be.

Jerry

I will definitely need to make a point of flying down. I will put you chapter meeting on my Calendar, third Saturday at 9am. I live in Garland based out of Mesquite. I work in McKinney so I usually only get to fly Saturday or Sunday. Keep me informed about the Waco Flyin.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

News from AOPA re: Kitfox's in the Bahamas!! http://blog.aopa.org/blog/?p=2874?WT...WT.mc_sect=gan
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Final photos from Bahama trip. Home safe.

Our last sunset walk on the beach
    last sunset walk on the beach.jpg

Our last view of Harbour Island before the short-cut of 225 miles across open ocean.
    Our last view of Harbour Island before the short-cut of 225 miles across open ocean.jpg

Notice the clouds?
    We started off below (headwinds) - then went above (had a tailwind, but could also see the line of thunderstorms) - found a hole for back down below, then around, and through.
    clouds.jpg

Customs was a breeze, but Kitfox's still take a back seat (or back of the line) to the jets passing through.
    After dropping off our wives in Tampa to airline home - we took a little longer route to visit our business associates, and Kitfox builders & owners.
    U.S. Customs.jpg

After escaping the 100 miles of fog around College Station Texas @ 500' - our excuse was we still needed to stay low to avoid the headwinds over the wide expanse of West Texas & eastern New Mexico.
    After escaping the 100 miles of fog around College Station Texas @ 500' - our excuse was we stil.jpg

Long way between fuel stops - the bladder didn't make it. I saw this unmarked one - that will work.
    Long way between fuel stops - the bladder didn't make it. I saw this unmarked one - that will w.jpg

Just outside Durango CO - still looking UP from our preferred vantage point. Fourteen'ers in the background.
    Just outside Durango CO - still looking UP from our preferred vantage point. Fourteen'ers in the.jpg

Skirting Arches National Monument near Moab UT.
    Skirting Arches National Monument near Moab UT..jpg

Interesting geologic formations - it's much colder now (or maybe we're no longer used to it).

Stopped in to see Mark Pringle @ West Desert Airpark (UT99). He flies & does high-quality builds of the Rans S-7 (and has done a Kitfox). A nice flying-club atmosphere - Kitfox's are welcome if your in the neighborhood (he has a mogas pump). This put us in position for straight run to Boise on the west side of the great Salt Lake, and it's airspace - except for a huge restricted area.
    Interesting geologic formations - it's much colder now.jpg

We called the military approach controller - and amazingly they let us through. Because the worsening weather and the headwinds kept us low - their big tethered barrage balloons within the deep valleys were used eliminate any radar blind spots. We saw numerous bombing ranges with real tank & plane targets.
    We couldn't get over or through the last set of mountains due to rapidly dropping ceilings & sno.jpg

We couldn't get over or through the last set of mountains due to rapidly dropping ceilings & snow, so we went around.
    image (2).jpg

Stayed tuned, we'll head way south again next January - a different direction to a different set of islands. Please keep an eye on our web sites in the near futures as we produce some video's of our adventures.

Best Regards,

Stick & Rudder Aviation, a dba of Stick & Rudder, LLC.

Paul Leadabrand - managing member, flight instructor
    Email: kitfox.training@gmail.com
    208-477-1318

Web site: stick-rudder.com

P.O. Box 170891
    Boise ID 83717

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Talking Re: Kitfox Aircraft and Stick & Rudder - Sebring & Bahama Bound 2012.

That was wonderful! Thanks Paul & John for sharing the adventure!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime