Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Sport Pilot Privileges - night flying

Default Sport Pilot Privileges - night flying

Subject: Sport Pilot flying at night with a PPL safety pilot.

Question:
    “It sounds like from what has been written on this thread I will be Ok to use [position lights] on my experimental at night if I have a full private pilot in the plane (I myself will only have a sport pilot cert). Is my thinking correct?”Jim

Answer

Jim,
    The answer is a definite “maybe”.
    Sport Pilot Privileges do not include night flying. So, to fly at night you must take along a Private Pilot or higher. The PPL holder is the pilot in command.

The PPL, in order to carry you as a passenger, must be current for night landings in the same category (airplanes) class (single engine –land) and endorsed for tail wheel if your aircraft is a tail-dragger. In addition, if it is a tailwheel airplane the PPL must be current in tailwheel landings performed to a full stop. The tailwheel landings do not have to be at night.

So if your PPL is
    Current - night landings
    Current - airplane single engine
    Current - tailwheel (if it applies)
    Has a tailwheel endorsement (unless the PPL flew tailwheel prior to April 15, 1991 like us old fogies.)
    Has a BFR logged
    Has at least a third class medical
    Then you are good to go!

when flying at night with a safety pilot, you may log as PIC all of the time you are the sole manipulators of the controls of an aircraft for which you are rated and log it as night time to use for additional ratings. This is the one case you can legally log night PIC as a Sport or Recreational Pilot, without an instructor on board.

If the safety pilot is an instructor, he or she may log also log the entire flight as PIC even though the instructor never touches the controls. Yes… two pilots can log PIC at the same time if one is an instructor.

John Pitkin

Default Re: Sport Pilot Privileges - night flying

You may also need to look at the Operating Limitations of the aircraft. Some are issued "day VFR" only. Most amateur built have, night and IFR if so equipped. Then you just need to be sure you have the night equipment.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat