Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lighting Definitions

Default Re: Lighting Definitions

Pardon my ignorance. But why not just upgrade your Sport to Private? I'm from Canada so I don't know exactly all your rules but I would imagine you would have something like 20 more hours of instruction or something? Then you can flight night VFR and perhaps your insurance would be less. Plus you have your own plane so you can get a freelance instructor for 60ish bucks. What are the plus sides in the USA for staying as a sport pilot?
    Last edited by Esser; 01-01-2012 at 07:29 AM.

I think mostly the need for a third class medical.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Yep, that's it-the medical. I'm 67 years old in good health but don't want the hassles and expense of medicals. I want to fly for a good many years yet and the sport pilot is the most sure way of doing it. For me night flying is not needed at all, but I want the plane to be legal for my son-in-law on the occasion he wants to fly at night. Also for resale value.

Jim

john Pitkin makes an interesting point. if your plane has strobes they must be on at all times. I'm not a big fan of wingtip strobes when taxiing. but how many kitfoxes are being built with a beacon? its always been my practice to turn on the beacon before starting. for some reason I didn't plan a beacon into my build. now I'm second guessing this. if I was to include one now, I suppose it would be easiest to put on the belly. but here's another question. if you have a beacon and wing strobes, do you still have to have the wing strobes on all the time? I do fly at night quite a bit.
    ken

Ken- I just spent some time with Mike at AeroLEDs at AirVenture. They have a brand new beacon out in white or red that is incredibly bright. I loved the red one and will seriously consider putting on my SS7 belly. Don't think it is even on their website yet but you could call them. I believe Mike said it had different power levels too so you don't blind other aircraft on the ground.
    Looks like easy mounting too.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Hi All,

A few comments based on 36 years of being a lighting development engineer - aircraft, heavy trucks, cars, medical, etc - both LED and conventional light sources.

For position lights you don't want to adapt marine lights - right colors, wrong light distributions vertically, insufficient intensity. Stick with an aircraft supplier, please.

Regarding anti collision lights - with equal intensity red will stand out more than white under most conditions. However, intensities are quite often higher with white. There's no simple answer to that one.

If anybody has a question about lighting that they want a private reply to, please feel free to pm me.

Cheers,

Larry