Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox 3 fuselage paint

Default Kitfox 3 fuselage paint

I purchased a Kitfox 3 partially completed earlier this year and need to clean up some rust where the fuselage was not painted completely. Can someone tell me what the primer and top coat is that comes with the kit? I would like to sand down the rusted areas and reprimer and paint. Would like comments and suggestions.
    Thanks,
    Barry

Default Re: Kitfox 3 fuselage paint

I think all the new airframes are powder coated (like mine). But I have had good results using Tempo rattle can "aircraft enamel" and primer to repaint fuse weldments and such:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ftcoatings.php

You are talking about the structural frame? Was it powder coated? It ought to be in the order records somewhere.
    Dwight B. Van Zanen
    Maple Valley, WA and
    West Columbia, SC
    PP/ASEL/IA
    Avid Mk 4 Aerobat

I don't think powder coating became an option until the early IV-1200s. The primer I got with my Model IV was zink chromate epoxy primer. I don't think it is available because someone decided the zink chromate was toxic - at least here in CA as a neighbor reminded me last week. It was green colored and green primer can still be obtained but without the bad for rust and bad for us ingrediant.I used automotive two part urethane on my fuselage tubing over the primer.
    Lowell

Barry,

There are better paints available today compared to the old zinc chromate stuff that once was the standard for those of us painting a bare frame or parts.

Poly fiber has an aircraft epoxy primer (comes in either white or green) that works well under just about any topcoat. There are other epoxy primers - automotive and aircraft - but probably a good idea to stick with compatible products as defined by the paint manufacturer.

Correct surface prep and complete coverage with epoxy and a good top coat will give you a very durable base and fend off rust/corrosion better than the old z-c stuff.

Some of us purchased our series 7 with a bare frame - did the sandblasting, epoxy primer and aerothane thing. The sandblasting provided a chance to inspect the welds very well once everything was cleaned up - also it provides the perfect roughness for paint adhesion. Certainly not everyone's choice - sandblasting is a truly sufferable activity.

BTW - don't know how other epoxies flow out; but, the poly fiber stuff works best with spraying.

The other advantage with Epoxy primer and aerothane is its extremely good solvent resistance. When cured - you can wash it off with MEK (Methyl ethyl Ketone) and no ill effects. Depending on what you use for a covering - many of the solvents in the chemicals used will make pretty good paint strippers for consumer grade non-catalyzed paints.

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    912 ULS, Warp

Best to decide what covering system you are going to use then prime/paint the fuselage wwith what that company recommends.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

It looks like it has epoxy primer. It looked like green zinchromate but I believe it is the green epoxy primer. MOF, I just searched the packing list and found the epoxy primer checked off in the list. Now to sand off some light corrosion and prepare a wood frame spray booth.