Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Series 7 / SS Trim, Electric vs Trim Tabs

Default Re: Series 7 / SS Trim, Electric vs Trim Tabs

52 hours on S7 with manual trim. No complaints. Had heard I would run out of trim but have not noticed it. I do pull a little pressure to hold 65 but it isn't significant.

Pull flaps on downwind after passing through 90...then slide trim back to full as I enter the bank for base....all done. The rest is minor stick inputs to get to 65 and hold it.

I had wondered if I would want to make the move to electric trim but 'no thank you'. Happy the way it is.

Default Re: How hard to convert a IV to variable incidence?

Hi jonbakerok.

A long time ago, I visited the old Skystar facility. In fact, I saw my Classic IV fuselage being welded (it had my name on the tag/ work order).
    When I was there they took me up in the factory demo aircraft. This had an unusual trim system.
    I had not ordered a trim system for my kit (trying to keep the cost down. In fact there were a few things that I did not order that I wish I had later)

Anyway, that aircraft had a Rans trim system installed.
    I ordered one from Aircraft S. and installed it after the kit was completed. It was a little work but managable.
    I am glad I did, moving the flaperons is one thing but the rear mounted trim is much easier to control.
    I adjust it for landing and I can gide in at the correct speed without too much stick pressure.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...anstrimsys.php

Eric

Default Re: How hard to convert a IV to variable incidence?

Well, I'll be darned, another option. It looks like it's just attached to the trailing edge, with no cut-out -- is that correct? If not, how did you make the cut-out in the elevator?

I also discovered another option. Sonex uses a spring trim system instead of a trim tab. I wonder if that would work on Kitfox.

Hi Jon.
    A couple of pictures of the Rans trim system.
    So I made a couple of adjustments with the stainless steel cover for the interior control.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I was going to use electric and got to thinking,..dangerous for me ya know
    but here is what I am probably going to do since I need to add weight,..and I have enough room between the seats for the trim wheel

I have the elecric trim in my 4 with the toggle on the stick. It was a simple system to install ,speed of the trim is no problem,easy to adjust on climbout/approach and it is right there at your hand. What could be easier.
    Dick

I have flown for over 900 hours with the electric trim with no issues whatsoever. I didn't use the factory switch which I understand has had some issues, but rather used a miniature toggle (DPDT-Momentary) mounted in the stick grip. Incidentally, I am in the process of building another Model IV and weighed the not yet installed servo and it weighs a tad under 4.6 oz. including the two clevis fittings and allthread connecting rod. no real idea of the wire weight, but it looks like about 24 ga. five wire and is no doubt lighter than the control cable. The three wires not used for servo actuation power a panel mounted trim indicator (two choices avilable).

Also, Matronics, the host of the other list has a speed reducing module as does ACS that makes trim a bit easier- abt $67 vs. $45 and both about an ounce. I used the Matronics unit as the RAC unit was not available when I insalled.

Lowell

One thing to remember is the trim systems are very different between the Classic IV and the Series 5 through the current S7-Super Sport. The electric trim on the current model is stabilizer trim not elevator trim. The trim tabs that have been used on the Sereis 5 through Series 7 are manual elevator trim tabs and work effectively different than the Classic IV.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

It takes less stabilizer trim to get the desired effect then it does elevator trim,....with exception to ones approach on how well their aerodynamics are of the area where the horizontal stab meets the vertical stab,..it can be a very clean design ,.if someone chooses not make the intersection of the vertical stab and the horizontal stab stream line through all positions of adjustment,...it adds to the total ammount of drag on the plane,..
    So for models that this option does not come on ,..your looking at trading the drag a elevator trim tab creates for drag that a dirty intersecion creates,..unless you make it clean thru all positions of travel.

Chase