Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 20x7.00-00 tires

Default 20x7.00-8 tires

I have searched the archives and found some old stuff on the 20x7.00-8 tires but there doesn't seem to be any current info on possible replacements. I need to replace my tires ASAP since it appears that a belt or something let loose in the tire causing a big bubble on the outside so the plane is grounded until it is replaced. I don't care too much for the big Nancos and would like to keep the original size if possible. Other than the $100 Desser tires on Ebay, are there any other affordable replacements available?

Default Re: 20x7.00-00 tires

I just typed in the tire size into the yahoo search box and many ATV tire supply places came up. I didn't look too far bit didn't see anything without aggressive tread. An ATV shop should be able to buff the tread off if you go that route, just tell them that you want "smoothies" (not airplane tires.)

Best deal around

I have used these and hthey work great

http://www.atvtires.net/productdetail.asp?gn=N800

ItemNumberDescriptionPriceBuy!3015100221X12-8 NK N800 SLICK TREAD 2 PLY$48.8048.00
    NANKANG N800 SLICK"Popular fitment for sand use applications ItemNumberDescriptionPriceBuy!3015100221X12-8 NK N800 SLICK TREAD 2 PLY$48.80Buy
    NANKANG N800 SLICK"Popular fitment for sand use applications ItemNumberDescriptionPriceBuy!3015100221X12-8 NK N800 SLICK TREAD 2 PLY$48.80BuyNANKANG N800 SLICK"Popular fitment for sand use applications ItemNumberDescriptionPriceBuy!3015100221X12-8 NK N800 SLICK TREAD 2 PLY$48.80Buy

Thanks for the replies. After some searching and a few calls, unless I am missing something, there are really only a couple of options if you want to stick with the 20" tires.

1. Buy the $100 each Buffed Kitfox tires from Desser (seems a little expensive)
    2. Buy 20" ATV tires and spend the time to remove the knobbies (seems like a labor intensive and messy project)

Some alternatives that I found are:

1. Go with a smaller smooth tire. (Golf cart or lawn mower type. Biggest I could find is 18.5")
    2. Buy the Nanco 21"x12" (loose some speed)
    3. 4 or 6 ply trailer or airplane type tire. (very heavy)

Maybe this will save some time for anyone looking for replacements.

Yeah Jerry, the Nancos are super deluxe ! I have had them for over 2 years and LOVE them ! I still have my old "shaved" knobbys up in my hanger overhead thinking I might need them again but don't think I will ever go back to them.
    Down here in "redneck" country I fit right in with all the tobaco spiting big wheeled trucks. Besides you could run over a cat and I think it would hardly notice it as the tire pressure is so low.
    Bouncing while taxing is fun !
    Dick

Thanks Dick

The Nancos are the route I am going. I am pretty much on pavement always but someone mentioned the additional safety margin in the event of an off airport landing being that they can roll over anything. Recently here locally, there was a Beech Baron that ran out of gas and had to land on a road in a cotton field. He was doing alright until the small tires dug in to the dirt and over it went. Totaled the plane but everyone walked away. It seems that these Nancos would roll over rather than dig in.

Do you guys know of a good place to buy some 8" rims for these nanco tires

Thanks Willis

Got the Nancos mounted. They are considerably bigger. My inital thoughts are I like the look of the originals better but will have to get some hours on them to tell for sure. I have only ran it up and down the taxi way and they seem more out of round than the defective originals but at least I know they are new and won't blow out during a hard landing. I attached a couple pics to show what they look like on Grove gear.

Oh and on a side note....I was going to remove the old tires and do the install myself but ended up taking them to a tire store. Sure glad I did. They worked long and hard to get the old tires off and had to use a compressed air bead sealer to get the Nancos on. (safer than starting fluid) Best $12 I spent.

IMG_1563.jpg

IMG_1565.jpg

Jerry,
    The Nancos look great ! I love mine but then I operate off of grass. Don't know if I would be that fond of them if I was on hard surface with them all the time (although they do fine on tarmac)
    Give yourself some time to get used to them. They are different.
    If you taxi too fast you will bounce up and down alot !
    Its been at least 2 years now and they still show little wear.
    Dick
    Attached Images Attached Images

Forgot one thing at what pressure did you inflate them ? i know 15 PSI it the maximum but what is the optimal one ?