Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wanting to buy.

Default Re: Wanting to buy.

Your list of items isn't exactly an indictment against the engine, Super Trooper, but appears to be a list of items which may or may not apply to any given engine. When Service Bulletins (SBs) are issued they usually come with engine or part serial numbers depending on what's affected. There are several types of "bulletins" that may be issued ranging from FAA Airworthiness Directives (ADs) to Mandatory Alert Service Bulletins (we just had one of those come out concerning crankshafts) and run-of-the-mil service bulletins telling us to look for something or other...just in case. If it doesn't apply to our engine we just "file it away."

A notice allowing an increase in time between overhauls (increase of TBO), for example, isn't anything we have to comply with, rather to take note of and sit back with a tall cool one and rejoice that the manufacturer just told us we don't have to tear our engines apart for another XXX hours! Many other items are "heads-up" alerts to check your own engine for such-and-such because evidence of a possible problem has popped up somewhere in the Rotax world and owners are being advised. The older service bulletins from now-defunct Skystar I can't speak to without reading them.

Without knowing the serial number of the 912 in question or having the engine logbook in front of me, I can't guess at what may be pertinent to that particular engine. You can log into the Rotax company website at Rotax-Owner.com [info@rotax-owner.com] and get a fair-sized education about these engines, their history, maintenance updates and watch instructional videos on care and feeding of same.

Please don't shy away from that engine based on incomplete or inaccurate information; hopefully, your EAA friend can help you with this point or perhaps someone else on this forum who lives near you.
    (How 'bout it guys? Can anyone give him a hand here? After the noise from the holidays subsides below a dull roar maybe??)

A bit more information on the 912 is necessary here, so I wouldn't start warming up to that "Franklin stove" quite yet just because it's close by!

Hang in there...remember the old "haste/waste adage!

"E.T."
    Last edited by DesertFox6; 12-16-2011 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks for the reply Desert Fox 6.
    I, kinda, figured that all service bulletins did not effect all aircraft. I have the serial number of the engine,4152396, so I need to check out which apply, if any.
    I suppose the thing that bothers me the most is the fact that the ac is located in Tulsa, OK and I am in KY, about 500 miles away. I am depending on the eaa guy there to decide on the condition of the entire ac. I have talked to him several times and plan on more chats with him before he has a chance to do the conditional inspection, which will not be until after the first of the year.
    I guess that one of the things that make the kf5 interesting is that it is here in my backyard, so to speak, and I have folks, that I know, that can do inspections and guide me along. But I will say that the kf4 speedster would be my first choice.
    Again, thanks for the reply and info!
    DRS

Thumbs down Re: Wanting to buy.

Please consider this as one man's opinion or maybe two men. My used 912UL for my new project is in the serial # range for the mandatory stator exchange as is the serial # of the engine in question. My first one was as well and I did the exchange then. At the time the stator was provided at no cost with free use of the special tools. A neighbor and Model IV owner (1500 hours) and an EAA tech counsler came by to see my project. I told him of my plans to ignore the service bulletin on the stator this time. He agreed with me and reminded me of the original situation that prompted the bulletin. The certified 912 engine in a Katana was routinely rinsed with a strong degreasing solvent and the solvent softened the insulation on one of the ignition wires as it ran through a clamp. The replacement stator had larger Adel type clamps to reduce pressure on the wire bundles. This is my take on the issue. As the builder and maintenance guy, the engine compartment will never reach the point that a solvent will be necessary to clean it up and I can live with the snug clamps. My friend agreed. But, again, take it as two Guy's opinions.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 12-18-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Go to http://www.rotax-owner.com > Information > Service Bulletins > By Engine Serial # > Engine Model (Select All Type 912 UL Engines) > Serial # (Enter your engine s/n 4,152.396). The Rotax Document Retrieval System search for that engine returns (26) Service Bulletins, (61) Service Instructions and (16) Service Letters.

Read them. Those considered critical by Rotax are clearly labeled Mandatory. Those considered mandatory by the owners may... and will... vary considerably. Ultimately though it is up to you which is of critical importance, or to what degree compliance or non-compliance is advisable or even desirable.

FWIW, with respect to the stator SB, I too have opted not to replace. In part, due to the background which suggests a very specific set of contributing factors that are not likely to occur in my case (click HERE). Also in part due to the considerable time/expense/effort required to comply. That procedure can be seen HERE. Others, like the carb supports and module ground I do consider critical and, thankfully, a relatively quick, easy and inexpensive D.I.Y.

One thing to keep in mind is that several SB's are not necessarily for immediate compliance. While a safety inspection my be mandatory, compliance may be deferred until the next 50hr/100hr scheduled maintenance or (as in the case of the rocker arms) at the next major overhaul interval. Therefore if the engine you're looking at has low hours, it might not require a large cash outlay to bring up to full compliance immediately.

The TBO extension does require the implementation of all relevant SB and SI's (including the stator) and, because the engine may be affected by a previous modification, the SB and SI's have to be carried out in correct sequence and in ascending order. Still, given the considerable cost of overhauling and that used airplane prices depend heavily on remaining time before overhaul, a TBO increase represents a gain in value for all owners. I think it is noteworthy that Rotax not only upped the TBO on the 912 engines, they also made it retroactive.

In any event, forum advice is helpful but I again suggest you speak to a qualified Rotax service repair center for definitive answers. Or search www.RotaxiRMT.com
    for a listing of independent Rotax maintenance technicians who can perform service, maintenance and heavy maintenance work or, perhaps, go pre-inspect an engine for you. Good luck!
    -Aeropro CZ Aerotrek A240 Tri-Gear SLSA 912uls
    -Airdale Avid+ on CZAW Amphibs 'FatAvid Floater' (building)
    -Kitfox 4-1200 TD 912ul (sold)
    -Kitfox Model III TD 582 (R.I.P.)
    -Avid Flyer Mk-IV TD (sold)