Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wanting to buy.

Default Wanting to buy.

Hello everyone. I am new to all this, so I will probably make a few mistakes.
    I am looking to buy a KF. So far have bn looking at a model 4 with a 80hp rotax, wide body mod, converted to tricycle gear.
    One question I have is, on-going, up keep on the rotax. Is this a big issue as far as having to do constant adjustments?
    I also have bn looking at a Series 5 with the 125hp Franklin engine. I have not bn able to come up with much info on the Franklin.
    I would be thankful for any help.

Default Re: Wanting to buy.

Hi welcome to the KF forum this is just my opinion, but the Model 4 with the Rotax would be a better deal. The 9 series Rotax engine is an excellent engine rnot sure I know what you mean by constant adjustments ( are you thinkung of the 2 stroke engine that require carb adjustments with temp changes) the 4 strokes are not like that.
    Good luck with your search the Kitfox is an excellent aircraft.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

I have heard, and read here, about carb adjustments, vibrations and such. Probably not as much of a issue as I read into it.
    Am leaning to the model 4, speedster, since it qualifies as expermental.

I have found my 912S to be hassle free so far (200 hrs), I change the oil and balance the carbs (15 min job) about every 25 hrs.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Well, that sounds simple enough. Thanks.

I have a model four 912 80 horse.
    250 hours total time and the plane is a real performer. The engine I have is older by date but only has 281hrs total time and has been a strong runner. There is currently an issue with the new replacement fuel pump offered by rotax but the company is working it out. If the plane has the original pump and checks out with your ROTAX CERTIFIED mechanic, get in. If your mechanic isn't ROTAX CERTIFIED or very experienced with ROTAX, find someone who is.
    You will love the money you don't spend on fuel and the speed you get out of that plane.

I have a mid 90`s 912UL (80HP) in my Vixen. I have put almost 200 hrs on it over the last 2years (300TT). I change oil every 50 hrs (Mobil MXT), check carb sync about the same time, never add oil between changes, move the needle valve for winter or summer operation,no oil/coolant leaks. Just a great, strong running engine in my opinion. I fly mostly of pavement (not many bush strips around here) so I am really happy with 1000 ft,/min and 115 ias and about 12 to 15 litres/hour on 87 mogas. It doesn`t get much better than that!
    Have fun with it
    Don

Be sure to consider the rebuild cost as well. For the Rotax 912, it’s not cheap. I have “heard” the parts alone for an overhaul are $8000 and of course, there is labor cost to add in (can someone give an actual cost to do it today?)

I had 900 hours on my first Model IV with 912UL. I averaged about 100 hours a year which is not a lot, but pretty typical. Some guys fly a bunch and rebuild costs might be more of a factor for them, but 20 years of flying to TBO is not that big a deal. I remember in the old days (with the 1500 hour TBO), Eric Tucker saying he would fly it for 2000 hours and then sell the engine as a core and put another new one on his airplane. For perspecive, 20 years is a third of a typical person's adult life. For the record, I put on the new stator due to the Service bulletin, and changed oil and spark plugs at the recommended intervals. I did rebuild the carburetors at one point but went back to the old needles because the new ones would not seat properly. I think this engine is pretty much bullet proof. Not to say there can't be issues, but someone name any mechanical product that will give 20 years of useful service with only periodic maintenance.
    Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 12-08-2011 at 02:19 PM.

The ac I am thinking of buying has around 500 hours. I figure at my age of 60 I will be around 75, give or take a few years by the time a rebuld is a big issue.
    I realize that there can be problems with even a new engine, or any product for that matter.
    I had developed the idea that these engines needed constant tweeking. Evidently I was wrong. Nothing new about that!
    I am waiting on a eaa guy to do a condition inspection and if he says it is airworthy, I guess it will be check writing time. Looking forward to that!
    Thanks to everyone for the input, I plan to closely watch this forum for advice!