Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: VOR/LOC antenna

I want to replace my Garmin SL 40 with a SL30 to get a VOR (IFR legal) nav source. I've been told that an external antenna mounted to the fuse won't work. I cannot mount an antenna on the fin. So, I'm looking for a concealed VOR antenna. Who has experience with this and what did you do for an antenna? I'm also thinking of installing the VOR antenna under the stab, between the aluminum cover plates, with holes in the alum. plates for the antenna to stick out on each side, under the stab. Has anyone done this?

KF IV
    912S
    Dynon D180
    IVO IFA
    TONS OF FUN

Default Re: VOR/LOC antenna

Bruce,

I understand this design works well if you've got the room in your wingtip:

http://fly.hiwaay.net/~sbuc/journal/sportcraft.htm

It likely would not function well concealed within the fuselage. I have no knowledge of it applied in a Kitfox.

-- Paul S

I just installed one of Bob Archer's antennas in my right wingtip. Same as you, I have decided to install a SL30 to be IFR legal but the plane is already covered which makes some options difficult. I contacted him and he gave me some pointers for installing one in a nonmetal skinned aircraft.

Basically, in my case I am making sure the antenna overlaps the metal strip that the detachable wingtips are attached to. Just as would be done with the metal skin in a metal aircraft. I ran two wires, one from each end of the metal strip to each spar to ground the strip. He also suggested an aluminum sheet between the spars grounded at each end.

BTW, there is PLENTY of room in the wingtip.

Henry

Having now installed both antennas... the "wiskers" work very well.. although I am personally not crazy about the appearance.. top of the vertical is where most have been installed.. which on a tail wheel puts it at about eye level... on the tri-gear up on the vertical works great on the bottom ends up at about eye level again.. Have installed them inside the wing and that seemed to work well.

Yesterday and today I have been flying using the di-pole type.. Installed how Bob Archer suggested... So far it seems to work OK...... not as well as the wisker type.. but I will be doing some installation mods and re-testing over the next couple weeks.

It fits fine in the Hoerner "Speedster" style tips easily but not sure they would fit in the newer "standard" tips.
    John McBean
    www.kitfoxaircraft.com

"The Sky is not the Limit... It's a Playground"

I thought I'd post a couple of pictures of the Bob Archer antenna installed in my right wing tip. You can see the wire that grounds the strip with the nut plates to the wing spar. The wires are routed according to instructions. Still building so I don't know how well it will work
    Attached Images Attached Images