Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: McCullich 0-100 on Avid C?

Default Re: McCullich 0-100 on Avid C?

Quote Originally Posted by High Country View Post
    Thanks for all the great imput, so we've decided to stay away from the mccullich so the question is do i use the 532 or change with something else, keeping in mind that finance is my biggest factor, where is a good place to purchase the nippondenso ignition system for the 532 and is there any other upgrades that will make it more reliable? I had the 447 on my skyraider and was very pleased with its performance for the lighter airplane. I would really like to go to a four stroke such as an 0-200 but the cost is a bit much, im a certified welder so building engine mounts etc is no problem for me if i can find an affordable 4 stroke.
    I've been messing around with Avids and Kitfoxes now since 1987, and still own the first Avid ever built, powered by a 43 hp Cuyuna 2 stroke that was normally used in Scorpion snowmobiles. And even though only 43 hp, it flew very well, and enjoyed a solo rate of climb of nearly 1500 fpm. Of course it only weighed 360 lbs, so it just goes to prove how critical overall weight, and even more so engine weight, is on this aircraft design.

And for any of you that didn't know this, when Dean Wilson designed our airframe, he discovered that if he could eliminate 1 pound of weight from the engine, he could remove 2 lbs of weight from the airframe, and the aircraft would remain just as strong as a standard, more conventional aircraft. So engine weight matters a lot more in this design than with a more conventional aircraft.

So reverse that design feature by installing heavy engines, and you have totally defeated what the designer sought to create with his revolutionary concept. So remember, it isn't just performance that will suffer with a heavy engine, airframe strength will also be compromised.

That 532 can be used just fine as it came from the factory. Mine was bone stock and worked great for years. My other A-model Avid with the 532 weighs only 396 lbs and has a climb rate of over 2200 fpm, seriously! It is one hauling machine. So I don't think you could find a more effective (and fun) low cost option than the 532 for an Avid. But do everything you can to keep it light - that will make it a real hotrod. Modifications? You can easily live with the standard ignition points if you decide making it electronic is too much work. My 532 never had electronic ignition, nor did the one that went to the north pole. But I would recommend at least resealing an engine that has laid around for a bunch of years inactive. And at the same time, I would also recommend doing the upgrade (s) to the rotary valve seal and the water pump (I don't remember all the details so ask a Rotax engine guy).

Anyhow, the 532 is overall a great engine that worked very well on early Avids and Kitfoxes, and a lot were used. But it is still a two stroke and doesn't have the track record for reliability the 4 stroke Rotaxes enjoy.

However, like I always tell my friends that make jokes about friends flying 2 strokes "We should all fly everything like it has a two stroke up front, as any engine can quit". I've had 5 engine failures in aircraft in the past 30 years...2 were 2 strokes, and the other 3 were aircraft engines. So even 4 stroke reliability can be questioned...
    Last edited by av8rps; 11-10-2011 at 06:23 AM.

One last note, the only engine I have ever seen to work really well in the early Avid and Kitfox other than the 2 strokes or the 912 was....(drum roll.....) the small Continentals. I was always suspect that they could work well when you consider their weights, but a C-75 up to an C-90 or even an 0-200 will work, IF you do everything you can to minimize engine weight (like no electrics).

Done right you can put together an airplane that will weigh similar to the VW, but with significantly better performance. So, if you are insistent on using a 4 stroke, but want performance and reliability like the 912, but don't want to spend so much, find an old Continental, strip off any extra weight, bolt it in, and go flying.

The A-65's I hear are quite a bit lighter than the C-75, due to the lack of an electrical system. My buddy has one on his plane and of course he has to hand prop it (which does not bother him). Also, the parts are pretty cheap (by aircraft standards) and I think he said that his runs on car gas and it still produces 65 HP.

Anyone know the installed weight of a A-65?

Roger

The 65 and 75 weigh the same the 75 prop may weigh a couple of pounds more. The engines are the same except for different pistons, different carb setting, and prop pitch so the 75 can turn higher rpm's. That is how it makes 75 instead of 65 is by higher rpm's.