Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Spar Stiffners Model 1

Default Spar Stiffners Model 1

Hey Guys new to site, just bought a well used Model 1 and going to go through the whole thing. Was looking the plane over to get familiar with the design and construction. Noticed in the spar tubes an "S" shaped aluminum stiffner, riveted top and bottom of tube. This stiffner appears to be pitched foward about 10 degrees, my question is ( should this plate be pitched forward or rearward or not at all?) To me the forces applied to the wing would be vertical (from lift) and rearward (from air pressure on the leading edge) thus the plate should be pitched rearward to absorb these forces. If this is correct, could have the original builder reversed the tubes from left and right. Curious to know how critical this positioning is. Thanks Tim

Default Re: Spar Stiffners Model 1

Actually, I have been told that in flight(while at constant speed, not accelerating) the forces on the wing are up and forward. Sounds crazy, but apparently aerodynamically true. Some say that if you pulled your front wing spar attach pins in flight the wing would stay put as long as you didn't accelerate.

Default Re: Spar Stiffners Model 1

You said the plane is well used... if its not broke dont fix it. If it has been flying for alot of hours, then (it may just be me) It stands a pretty good chance of not folding up the wings.