Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jan '09 KOTM - Steve Kellander

Default Re: Jan '09 KOTM - Steve Kellander

You know, winter is generally the best time for me to fly, I don't mind the snow at all. This year it's real bad. Even if my fox was flying right now I wouldn't be able to fly. Ceilings at 300ft and 1/4 vis is the norm. In the last month, maybe 3 days were open for flying. Snow is fun to fly in. You are right, the big tires are very fun. I'll just have to wait and see what happens with the new motor before doing anything. When you say that you had the slowest fox of the group and now it's the fastest. What can you say you did to make that change?
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

When you say that you had the slowest fox of the group and now it's the fastest. What can you say you did to make that change?
    Steve- I had a model 3 with 912 that topped out at 100mph. I sold it after I completed my model 4. The 3 was slow compared to my 4. It was a blast to fly and still is but I had a hard time keeping up with all the newer models my Squadron mates fly. Not anymore.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Steve I am very impressed with your plane. Great JOB. I would like to know if you have any pics of the conversion to the wide body? I have never seen this and would like to know more about it. The speeds you are getting far excede anything I can get, however I did have a cruise of 127 at one time but this was only with the pitch of the prop set with to much bite. Would have been really hard on the 912 to fly with this setting for very long. Again nice job, and HAPPY FLYING.

I do believe steve has the patriot ultra light prop. This prop will blow you away with what it can deliver. I know, because I went from a powerfin to the patriot ultra light prop and gained 15+ on mph cruise, the climb out was out of site as well.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Thanks Bryan. Steve is right in that I have the Lite Ivo prop. It will absorb all the power the 912S will deliver when I roll in the pitch. I think the Ivo medium with the 912S will give a little more speed but is more weight also. Both props will work very well with the 912S.

Bryan , Mike Gibbs took some shots of his wide body mod when building so I have that available right now and will look for photos of mine. They are identical.

In the upper left photo you can kind of see the unfinished chromoly steel parts welded in place around the door frames. In the photos with the plane painted you can really see the width of the addition. This makes the fuselage wider and maybe that is in part the speed difference from stock 4's. We just don't know. I did it strickly for comfort and maybe got an added speed bonus thrown in for free. Murle Williams has this wide body "kit" available (602-978-0553). John McBean may also so check with him too if anyone is interested. I believe there are now a couple model 4's with this mod flying.
    A big thanks to Phil Laker for coming up with this concept years ago and to Murle for engineering all the weird angle pieces to fit perfectly and welding them in for me.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear