Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912UL rubber engine mount replacement

Default 912UL rubber engine mount replacement

Has anyone out there replaced the rubber engine mounts on their 912ul installation? I'm in the process and was looking for guidance on how remove/replace the bottom two mounts. Can this be done without removing the engine?

Also, does anyone have any advice on separating the exhaust manifolds from the muffler? Mine is pretty well seized together...

Thanks!
    Kitfox IV Speedster

Default Re: 912UL rubber engine mount replacement

Mouse Oil is good at freeing seized exhaust pipes. I think it may be available from Aircraft Spruce.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Hello. Would like to replace the rubber engine mounts on my 3 with a 912 set up. Were is the best place to but them??

I purchased mine from Kitfox. I will tell you that it was not a fun job replacing them. I was able to do it without removing the engine. It took removing the rails mounted to the engine one at a time to get enough clearance to slide in the new rubber. Be very careful and patient trying to get the engine mount bolts aligned as you reinstall the mount rails as it is easy to cross thread them.
    Kitfox IV Speedster

Just replaced the isolators in a Speedster with a 912UL. You do not need to remove the engine but it is a painful process. The key is to support the engine and completely remove the engine mount brackets that connect the motor to truss. Work from the isolators towards the front of the motor. Get the isolators in by tipping the brackets up at a 45 degree angle. Then get your bolts in. Then get your next bolt in(this one sucks)and don't forget the washer that goes between the engine block and the bracket. You will definitely need a engine hoist and a second person. Good luck! I would also check the dimension of your spacers to make sure they comply with the Kitfox service bulletin.

I just resurrected my grandfathers model 5 kitfox as it has sat in his hangar unused for 15 years and have been doing a lot of little work as i keep noticing new items that are needing to be fix/replaced. The most recent being the rubber engine mounts. The 2 upper mounts look fine to me and don't feel hard or appear cracked but he 2 lower ones look to be sagging. This is a picture of one of them. Engine runs normal idols fine at 1800 rpm but wondering if this is cause for replacement. Seams like i fly for an hr then spend a 2 weeks fixing little things and then repeat the process. Anxious to hear what people have to say on this topic. Thanks all!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

The other lower mount.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jesse,

Haven't seen any responses.....don't know that I can answer your question with certainty; but, two things that can be considered are the age and sagging.

If you have the installation manual; take a look at the Vibration Isolator detail which shows a cross section of the engine mount socket and the parts that make up the assembly. A point to keep in mind is the engine mount socket has a smaller diameter in the center of the mount than what you see on the outside.....if there is enough sag/wear....it isn't beyond possibilities that metal to metal contact could occur between the minor diameter of the engine mount socket and the metal bushing that the bolt goes through.

I remember it being a bit of a challenge to get enough compression on the rubber mounts to get the nut started on the bolt on my build when everything was new - probaby due to compressing the rubber hose bushing that goes between the front and back Lord rubber bushing.

Keep your spirits up on the maintenance stuff you are finding.....

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF 7 Trigear
    912ULS Warp drive

St Paul, MN

I'll be at the Airport to morrow to work on my plane it is a SLSA, I get a comparison picture of my bushings. Mine are 5 years old.
    Paul Zimmermann
    LSRM-A
    Garland, Texas

Just purchased a Kitfox IV Speedster with the 912 ULS, and the first thing I noticed during the pre-buy inspection was these mounts. Mine are much more worn than the photos here, yet there doesn't seem to be any sag. It was a judgement call on the purchase, but I had read this thread by a complete fluke a few days before I bought the plane.

I guess this is going to be the first major repair that I'll be taking on, other than that we rebuilt both carburetors before I flew it home 1100 NM from Canon City Colorado to the Seattle area. That solved some major discrepancies in EGT's and lack of full power and rough running.

Ran like a champion all the way home. Thanks to Cory Thompson at Fremont County Airport (1V6) for taking on the carburetor task.