Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rear fuse brace needed ?? Kitfox Tri-gear mod.

Default Rear fuse brace needed ?? Kitfox Tri-gear mod.

Howdy guys;
    While looking into the Wide body mod for the Kitfox-4-1200, I see another builder has a rear plate installed in his model 4 tri-gear (see picture). When I checked into it, it seems that at some time ago kitfox had builders install this plate when converting some models to a noise gear (it's not just a wide body mod thing).
    Is this modification still needed on the Kitfox model-4-1200 with the factory Tri-gear mod, or was it more for the lower gross weight models or something? I hear other builders glassed in some plywood in this area as well.
    Any history or ideas would help.

Default Re: Rear fuse brace needed ?? Kitfox Tri-gear mod.

The rear reinforcement plate would not be needed if just adding a wide body kit with no intention of converting from the tail wheel configuration to a tri-gear.

The tubing in the area of the rear plate in your photo was increased in size and strength from the factory when the Classic 4 models were released making them convertible from tail wheel to nose gear. Obviously the front nose gear plate was also welded in from the factory on the Classic 4.

Yes , you are right. Some did bond in plywood in the same area to accomplish the same affect.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: Rear fuse brace needed ?? Kitfox Tri-gear mod.

Steve; Thanks for the info