Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: removing camloc studs

Default removing camloc studs

I installed camlocs and studs in my turtledeck but now that I am installing it the studs are slightly too short and I have to put too much pressure on them to lock them. I installed the locking washers underneath them so the will not come out of turtledeck but need to take them out. Any ideas on how to get the washers off to take out the stud?

Default Re: removing camloc studs

...and I' m even a step behind: how on earth do you fasten the studs in the first place?? Special tooling, or what??

I'll take a shot at answering both questions. At least this is the way I've done it. To remove the locking washers, I took a dremmel sized grinder and gound through one side of them, being carefull not to grind through the cowl, then pry it off. To install, I've used a (3/8"?) deep well socket to push the washer over the stud and down tight against the cowl. Take care, Jim Chuk

To remove, use a small flat blade screw driver and flip up a couple of the tabs then they will slide right off. To install, bust out your 1/4" socket set and find one that will just slide over the stud. Use the socket to push the lock washer down on the stud. You can buy the tool to install them for around 15 bucks, but a properly sized socket works just as good.

Oh, and don't forget to wear gloves when installing or removing them. I slice my finger pretty good this summer on one of the retaining washers.

-- Paul S