Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Hks 700t

Default Re: Hks 700t

Oh yeah...

Engine update - Baffled in the oil cooler and cut out more exit area in the bottom of the cowling and temps are looking good. Also installed a deflector on the bottom of the cowling to aid in creating a low pressure area to draw out the hot air more. Will get picks later.

My oh my that is a great looking plane, looking forward to your flt reports.
    It amazing how a small deflector on the bottom of the cowl improves cooling.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Talking Re: Hks 700t

George That is a sweet looking plane. Good luck on the first of many great flights! Again thanks for the help. Those templates are sure going to make my life a lot easier.

Dutch

Trick from the RV and BD planes: Put a curved bit of sheet metal on the bottom of the firewall. The idea is that it is hard for the slow air inside the cowl to suddenly accelerate around the sharp corner at the bottom to meet the high speed air just below.

You see this on many classic planes where there is a huge flare on the bottom of the cowl needed to eject cooling air during climb out. If you look just after the cowl opening the sharp bottom edge of the firewall is acting as a reverse scoop.

The RV builds in a cooling ramp on the bottom. It adds an inch or so on either side on the bottom of the fuse.

On the BD-4 where there isn't room for a ramp, the trick is to add sheet metal on the bottom of the fuse that sticks forward and curves up into the cowl. That way the bottom of the cowl can be left flat and still eject cooling air with less drag.

BTW, I'm jealous, your plane looks very nice.

Cheers,

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Geowitz View Post
    Oh yeah...

Engine update - Baffled in the oil cooler and cut out more exit area in the bottom of the cowling and temps are looking good. Also installed a deflector on the bottom of the cowling to aid in creating a low pressure area to draw out the hot air more. Will get picks later.
    Building a KF IV Classic