Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hks 700t

Default Re: Hks 700t

Intercooler mounted with air box supplied by air scoop. The front mates up to the cowling and will have a gasket. Air will exit out the bottom of the cowling ahead and separate from everything else to prevent heat contamination. I had to drop the front bottom half of the cowling about 1.5 inches to clear the intercooler. Still have to do some shaping and sanding on the fiberglass, but the profile fits in relatively well. In other words, it doesn't really look too much like I retrofitted it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cowling is now getting close to paint. The one issue I had was that the intercooler was just barely too wide to fit. I could have cut and dropped the cowling down more, but I think it would have looked too big/wide and funny so I just made cutouts for the fittings. This area of the cowling will be painted black and the fittings are black so they will blend in well. Also trial fitted the prop and spinner to see how my cowling lined up. Almost perfect. Will have to do a little blending to get a smoother transition, but overall I'm pleased.
    Last edited by Geowitz; 05-18-2012 at 09:45 PM.

Just an official update.

Got the throttle linkage figured out. Also have the intercooler piping done along with oil lines and fuel etc so basically all of the plumbing is done. Wiring is all that's really left except for some painting here and there.

Looking really good am waiting for your first run and flt. Keep up the great work.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Gary,
    Flew over your place the weekend of the Fly-in in Alex. Looked like you were tending to the garden. I was in one of my other planes so didn't land. The winds were strong and it was a VERY bumpy day.

I sent someone your info that was interested in the HKS but doubt he followed through.

I really like that HKS....... Geowitz....plane is looking good!!!

Will that install require baffling?
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Thanks for the comments.

I'm still tossing the "targeted cooling" ideas around in my head. Apparently some installs need it, some don't, but if I were to need it the design would be more like a deflection plate wrapped around the back of the cylinder or a manifold over top the cylinder with an inlet in front. My first run will be with cowling off so I'll be watching the temps closely, but I think worst case scenario will be making some manifold boxes pointing forward.

CLEAR PROP

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8kVJg53Gxc

Started the engine last night. Took a little cranking to get fuel through the injectors, but it started without any problems. No leaks and temps look good so far at least with the cowling off.

A little wobble/oscillation or vibration of sorts in the Ivoprop visible at the tip of the in flight adjust motor. Looks like the tip of the electric motor is tracking slightly off axis. I checked the blade tracking and all blades are within 3/16" and I'm assuming at this point that they are balanced. Didn't go over 3000 rpms so I don't know if it would even out. I'm suspect of my mounting bolts being unevenly torqued with the fiberglass spinner backplate causing the motor to not be bolted on straight? The hub looks like it's spinning fine without much movement, but the tip of the IFA motor looks like it's wobbling, not loose, just out or round/off axis. Any ideas?

Sorry, cannot help with your question, just wanted to say congratulations!

Not an expert, and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn lately, but I would say that 3/16" is too much.