Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IVO Problem

Default IVO Problem

I've been having an issue with my IVO Medium lately and not being very familiar with the design, I thought I'd ask the members for some help.

When toggling the pitch control on the ground, I can hear the prop trying to change pitch but then the circuit breaker pops. This happens in either direction. When I switch it over to auto, I can hear the prop clicking every few seconds as it is trying to change pitch but it is definitely not moving. The CB does not pop when I have it in auto. This same scenario occurs in flight.

My call to the IVO company last week was unproductive. They just said that it sounds like an electrical problem (duh!!!) and for me to remove the prop and send in the hub for repairs.

Thanks for any replies.

Len S.

Series 5/ Jabiru 3300

Default Re: IVO Problem

Sounds like good advice.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Hi Len

I have the IVO 70" Ultralight IFA and just recently at 100 hours the prop just stopped pitch changing. The electric motor operated as it should in both directions but no resistance or blade movement.

I contacted IVO and they suggested I remove the drive unit and send in back for repair.( Apparently they charge parts only, no labor). Because I live in Canada and with new border regulations and Homeland Security rules it seems to take 3 or 4 weeks to get through,the flying weather was great, so I just kept flying (the prop was stuck fairly coarse) and ordered the ground adjustable plate.

After the plate arrived I removed the drive unit and dismantled it. A center gear on the planetary carrier was wore out, allowing the gears to slip. Ordered the parts (less than $20) and installed them myself. Works fine.

There are a number of very small parts in these planetary drives ( yours should be larger) but if they jammed up it may cause the motor to stall and trip the breaker.

As a result I am preparing to have a few spare parts available around the 100 hour mark just in case this may be the expected useful life. I would be interested to hear from others who may have had a similiar experience. I really like the IFA feature and do not want to go back to ground adjustable, I am prepared to bank about $1 per hour in the "prop account" to have the joys of IFA!

I realize this was a long story but if the medium is similar construction it may help you diagnose the problem.

Cheers

Don

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi ,

I just finished installing the IFA conversion today, minutes ago, on my Ivo medium "ex" GA . I followed the instructions to the letter, although I was really fighting the supplied and suggested wire lengths (12' )running to everything . I contacted Ivo on maybe shortening the wire lengths but they stressed to keep them 12' or else the breaker will trip very easily.

If the breaker was just tripping I would think this wire length requirement might be the cause of your problem, but I think Don might be on the right track, with the planetary gears.
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

I recently traded for a used Ivo light with the IFAdjust feature.
    I was told the IFA no longer worked.
    I found that the tiny walnut sized electric motor no longer worked.
    Ivo told me my IFA was an out of date design and that for $340. they would replace with the current design including required longer spinner.
    Even the new design seems to have a high failure rate.
    I question how much of this failure is due to normal wear or over stressing the system.
    I have not seen the original install instructions so am not aware of the operating limitations.
    One owner said he had 3 failures and blamed the failures on using a course pitched ultralight prop that required too much twisting torque to reach the reduced take-off pitch needed.
    If these Ivo systems do not have limit switches, what keeps the gears and motor from being over loaded if the switch is accidentally held too long in either direction when the engine is not running?
    Is the breaker supposed to prevent this from happening?
    Does one have to do a full power run up at each take-off to make sure you have the correct pitch for proper take off RPM?
    These are non issues when flying with a conventional constant speed prop.

Herman

Kevin,

I don't know what IVO could possibly be talking about, as shortening wire runs can only result in LOWER resistance and LOWER current draw (if anything the breaker would have less of a tendency to trip), but probably would not even be measurable unless the wire size was marginally small for the load to begin with. Does the wire come with factory installed connectors on the end? If so, maybe they have had problems with people doing poor installs on new connectors after cutting wires.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Cupar, SK, Canada CLC4 Loon Creek Airfield

Hi,

I talked with the factory to verify the wire lengths, and yes they come with connectors on , not anything elaborate for connectors just flat blade 1/4" crimpers. Instructions are in bold not to shorten the 12' wires or the circuit breaker will trip sooner. I even asked about other brands of circuit breakers, I would of liked to keep all the same , but they recommend only the breaker they supply. So I followed directions with the hope of trouble free use
    Kevin,

Kitfox Outback
    912 ULS
    Airmaster AP332CTFH-WWR70W
    Summit Aircraft Wheel Skis
    C-FOXW

Hi guys

My ultralight also came with instructions NOT to shorten the wires. I just coiled them up and connected directly to the battery. In over 100 hours I have never had the breaker pop.I also did not install the limit washers. It does not take long to figure out how to operate the prop without over speeding or lugging the engine. In my case I just wish the planetary parts lasted a bit longer. Maybe the next ones will!
    Don

[quote=jrevens;18956]Kevin,

I don't know what IVO could possibly be talking about, as shortening wire runs can only result in LOWER resistance and LOWER current draw

Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't Ohms law state that with constant voltage lower resistance results in higher current draw as in brighter (hotter) lights.

Lowell
    Last edited by HighWing; 10-13-2011 at 08:39 PM.

E/IR
    Correct on the second sentence...a lower resistance (R) will increase current (I) which I believe would not be wanted.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ