Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So Long Garmin!

Default Re: So Long Garmin!

Paul, glad that worked out. One word of caution is that the cell folks put allot of effort to have the signal go as far as possible horizontally and as little as possible vertically. I sometimes get coverage over 4K ft (rare) and sometimes not even at 2K, in short I would not count on getting data coverage in flight. I am a big fan of tablets and smart phones for pre-flight and even for inflight navigation but in-flight real time data is iffy. Granted this is only my experience and individual mileage may vary As for my Garmin that will remain in the stack as it ties into the rest of the system for things like relative wind and the AP. Sure is nice to have options though.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

Imagine a world with $1,500 full avionics and $15,000 LSA 100 hp engines... the boost to LSA manufacturers would be awesome... Go Apple (and app developers) go !!!

Just a matter of time...
    NOKITFOXYET

I flew with an iPad to the Kitfox flyin. It was a little hard to manage the cockpit space with myself, my wife, her dog, her luggage, 2 extra 2.5 gal fuel tanks for the backcountry trip and the iPad.

During the backcountry trip I found the iPad was useless with no cell coverage and only 8 other airplanes telling me where to go.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I agree, i like my instruments in the panel. I have tried the tablet in flight for testing but generally it is stowed for flight. I also use the 696 for primary navigation and weather (not going anywhere soon). Sly do you use XM weather and if not do you still get TFRs?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

I've owned my iPad since they first came out, so perhaps I can shed some light on their general capability. First, the issue of readability in bright sunlight. The iPad has a very bright display, and is fully readable in bright sun. It is a glossy screen however, so there can be some glare, but moving the device usually solves it. Because of this, I'm not sure I would permanently mount it in the Kitfox. Regarding space in the cockpit. What I found is that it actually worked best just sitting on my knee. Someone mentioned cell coverage. Keep in mind that the iPad does not use cell service for navigation. The built in GPS is fully selfcontained. The point that was made about obtaining weather information in flight is a good one. Don't depend on being able to get a reliable signal while airborn. I've had poor luck keeping a signal even in a congested metro area.

Where the iPad and WingX (or ForeFlight) really shine is planning and flying a cross country trip, or navigating complex Class B's it is so simple to layout and edit a route, it blows my mind. Think of having a detailed sectional of the entire US in your lap. You can pinch and zoom in to read fine detail, or pinch and zoom out to see the entire country. The charts are seamless! Touch an airport name and instantly see EVERYTHING you need to know. . . Runways, frequencys, pattern altitudes, you name it. You can even see a Google Map satellite view of the field. TFR's on your route? No worries, they show up as a bright red circle right on the chart and you can just bump your route around them - one touch! Really, this is just amazing technology, and at a price that is a bargain when compared to anything Garmin makes, especially when you consider the high price Garmin charges for map updates.

Like I said, if you already own an iPad, its a no-brainer. If you don't, run out and get one and download a 30 day free trial to WingX. You'll find lots of other uses for the iPad, I promise, but if you still don't like it, just return the iPad to Apple. They give you 30 days too.

Negative Ghost Rider, ... er, I mean Slyfox. The lady brings her dog or the lady doesn't travel.

I agree the iPad makes a great flight planner. If you don't have an iPad, AOPA prodvides a good flight planner as well. Another good spot for seamless and updated charts is www.vfrmap.com
    Last edited by SkySteve; 10-03-2011 at 08:19 PM.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

While not totally reliable at higher altitudes and far off places, I have 3G service on my iPad and it's a pretty decent solution. I've even managed to get METARs and TAFs out in the middle of eastern Oregon at 3000 AGL. The built-in GPS with the 3G version works surprisingly well. I've been able to get a quick fix back in the mountains where no cell signal was available, as well as sitting in coach on a commercial flight.

Not to mention it's nice to be able to check email and surf forums and do all that other Internet stuff when nowhere near Wi-Fi. You just need cell phone service. The weather comes over as text of course, so it's rather low bandwidth.

Last edited by 1SeventyZ; 10-04-2011 at 03:24 PM.

I had a chance to play with WingX in the airline cockpit today between DFW and OMA. I was amazed that I could get a GPS signal at all, since electrical interference from our heated windshields usually prevent this. The only non-heated window is a rear "clear-vue" pane, and holding it near that gave me a connection. The ground speed was very slow to respond, counting up about 10 or 20 kts. at a time until it reached our 480 knot ground speed. Don't know why that was, but everything worked. This setup makes the ultimate "Captain's Atlas" to identify points on the ground which don't show up on our high-charts. Very cool indeed!

I see the Anywhere Map Quadra LT just went on sale for $349.

http://store.controlvision.com/prhtt...e=General-Info
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    SkySteve's SPOT Page

I was thinking of using the Ipad for the glass cockpit 6 pack instead of buying all those steam gauges but when I took my buddies Ipad outside I couldn't see the display in sunlight. Seems in a KF3 with skylight it would be tough to see. Steam gauges going to cost me more than Ipad. I'm still hoping the Ipad might work for me. Not sure what the FAA will think.