Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new 2 stroke

Default new 2 stroke

I didnt look into this to see how much itweighed or the actual dimensions but :

This is no wimp engine.
    It's a two cylinder with four pistons delivering 300+ Horse Power
    It's extremely small and very efficient and is presently in use in test applications
    The configuration below is equivalent to a extremely ballsy four cylinder engine
    When doubled, it's an extremely ballsy 600+ H.P. engine

It’s called OPOC (Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder), and it’s a turbocharged two-stroke, two-cylinder, with four pistons, two in each cylinder, that will run on gasoline, diesel or ethanol. The two pistons, inside a single cylinder, pump toward and away from each other, thus allowing a cycle to be completed twice as quickly as a conventional engine while balancing it's own loads.
    The heavy lifting for this unconventional concept was performed Prof. Peter Hofbauer. During his 20 years at VW, Hofbauer headed up, among other things, development of VW’s first diesel engine and the VR6.
    The OPOC has been in development for several years, and the company claims it’s 30 percent lighter, one quarter the size and achieves 50 percent better fuel economy than a conventional turbo diesel engine.
    They’re predicting 100 MPG in a conventional car.

For a good demo, See:
    http://www.engineeringtv.com/video/Opposed-Piston-Opposed-Cylinder

Default Re: new 2 stroke

right now the phase they are working thru for this motor it's too big for aircraft,..but i wonder how long it will be before it reduces it's size for compact cars,.which then opens the doors forexperimental aircraft

Bill Gates actually has a lot of money invested in this engine too. I have been watching it for a couple years. It looks promising. Especially if it runs on diesel which I have a love affair with. I think diesel is the future of av fuels especially since you can run JetA1 in the which is available not to mention water doesnt effect it as much, more torque(Super crusie props anyone?), and had more btus of engery per volume.

I guess with Bill Gates investing in it there is no lack of funds ,..and we might see a smaller version quicker ,..as for jet fuel ,..thats ok if your not going to let it set long,..say over a week unless you put Prist or an equivelant in it first,..have you ever took a glass of jet fuel and set it in a window? come back in a week and there will be things growing in it lol.

That engine configuration has been tried in the past as a 4 stroke with alot of hipe and nothing much ever came of it. So it will be interesting to see if it develops into a viable power source.
    As for diesel fuel its not any more the future fuel than CNG is as Sky posted bugs readily grow in it and if Prist isn't used they will completely clog a filter caucusing a very quiet engine. Also be aware that JetA is Q grade kerosene so a diesel engine injector pump will require some modification or it will not be lubed AND Water most certainly has an effect on Jet Fuel and diesel why do you think all diesel vehicles have water drains.
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 09-25-2011 at 06:14 PM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Does your same logic apply to every airplane with a water drain on the fuel tank? Shall we go down the list of stuff (purposefully put) in your gasoline that will clog your filters? (At least Diesel or Jet A won't dissolve your gas tanks. )

Speaking as someone who has driven diesels (exclusively) for the last 20 years, I have NEVER had issue with water contamination or bacteria growth in my cars or trucks. Even after extended periods of sitting in the extreme variations of Wisconsin weather. I don't use treatments or any other type of snake oil, either.

Water is no more an issue for a diesel (compression ignition) than it is for a gasoline powered, spark ignition, engine. It won't burn. Period. Zero fun.

There are several compression ignition, reciprocating engines flying now that run on Jet A. Yes, lubrication mods are needed from a diesel injection pump, but they are flying none the less.

Compression ignition engines are far superior to sparkies in every operational parameter. The only reason you don't see more of them is the lack of motivation brought on by cheap gasoline and the moronic governmental regulations that (should be argued somewhere else...).
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I drove truck for quite a few years too ,.macks and intersnatchalls with the good ole cummins in them,.( actually built 3 mobile home toters). I have had a fuel line freeze up a time or two,..but never had any diesel go bad even after sitting for 6 months,.. when I was working at Biore field refueling the jets ,..there were issues with the jet fuel,so Prist was usually asked for by the pilots..moreso in the winter then the summer ,..and only if the plane sat for long periods with fuel in the tanks during summer

Well if you are talking about water sitting in the bottom of your tank and it being injected into your engine yes of course you are right but diesel fuel is hygroscopic and can absorb watering to its molecular structure. Poor a cup of water in and you are asking for trouble but regular condensation won't be as big of an issue in diesels. And more what I mean by its the future of aviation fuel is that is a fuel that is EVERYWHERE. And if you dont have diesel right in front of you put your Jet A1 in and add a 50ml dose of additive. We would do the same thing if we had to fill up our rotaxs with 100LL with a lead scavenger. But we do it out of convenience instead of trying to go into town and finding mogas and having to cart 5 gallon jugs with us.

As for the algae growth in the fuel. Algae need sunlight to grow so yes if you take a cup of diesel and put it in a window you will get growth. I have never seen a clear fuel tank so I'm not worried about that one at all. Of course there is the chance but thats what fuel filters and regular maintainence is for. And compaired to the harzardoffuels with ethynol in it that many people run in their rotaxs I see that as a moot issue. When DeltaHawk comes out with thier 100HP two stroke diesel I will be all over that. Too bad they are prioritizing the V8 after the V4 is certified this year.

agreed on the maintenance ,..if your not changing the filters it will,..no matter what the fuel clog up ,..but I know in the north east as soon as the clock strikes October allot of the diesel fuel vendors start putting there own additives into the fuel as well,..Jet A still comes as Jet A no additives.
    as for the motor ,..I wounder what the block is made of ,.. with the heat of 2 pistons traveling in one cylinder,..maybe a sleeved aluminuim alloy? or did they stick with the tried and true cast iron

( I'm in the sticks and couldnt watch the video so if it says something about the block construction ,.I don't know)
    Last edited by SkyPirate; 09-26-2011 at 09:23 AM.

As for the algae growth in the fuel. Algae need sunlight to grow so yes if you take a cup of diesel and put it in a window you will get growth. I have never seen a clear fuel tank so I'm not worried about that one at all.
    NOT True the bacteria grows in a completely dark tank whether it be above ground or underground. and it is particularly problematic at small airports that do have Jet fuel for sale as they don't sell enough of it and many small airport of the type that I fly into DO NOT have Jet fuel available.
    Av8r3400 I did not say it was a problem in diesel trucks If you read my post, keep in mind just about all filling stations with diesel available probably turn over their complete supply ever couple of days not near long enough for bacteria to form and grow. BUT they all have water separators and drains and while I have only had a water problem a few times (it came from the filling station tanks) it was very aggravating sitting along side the road trying to get the water out of the separator and the truck started again.

And let me assure any and all of you I have seen the filter light come on many many times after refueling at a small airport with old Jet fuel and that means landing removing the fuel filter and installing a new one. I can also assure all of you that I have burnt up more Jet fuel in the past 30 years then most will ever see or buy, it is a good fuel but not trouble free as some might like to believe and it not any better in my book than good old 100LL when it comes to flying in a light plane, in a larger aircraft a turbine certainly has its advantages. Here's some reading so that real facts and not urban myths about BTU's etc.
    If you do the math you'll find that Av Gas has more BTU's per lb than Jet Fuel does. Keep in mind tha Av gas is 6 lb per gal and Jet is 7 lbs.

http://www.doi.gov/pam/eneratt2.html
    http://www.smartcockpit.com/data/pdf...cteristics.pdf
    Last edited by Mnflyer; 09-26-2011 at 04:21 PM.
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ