Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Composite leading edge

Default Composite leading edge

I've heard talk of this but I can't find it on the kitfox website. Does anyone know how much this option is and I am assuming you don't need the false ribs if you go this route?
    Thanks

Default Re: Composite leading edge

Its in the kitfox catalog on page 57 and costs about $1000.00 but looks great when installed but still has the false ribs for support.

Thanks a bunch

look back in this thread under false rib kit there are some very good pic,s showing the wing with just the false rib kit after covering and with the composite leading edge with false rib kit.

Thanks for the tip of where to look. I guess my next question is. Is it worth 1000 bucks

hi esser, in response to the question is the composite leading edge option worth the cost i would have to say that is up to each individual to decide. to me the pros out weighed the cons. i dont think that it adds any more labor to the build it looks to me to be about a wash but i cant say for sure as this is my first kitfox build. i do think the looks are worth something but also i would think that if you wanted to use v/g, they wou

ld perform better, just my opinion i have nothing to base that on.
    also i am sure they will add to the resale value of the airplane.

In talking to John McB about the pros and cons of the new leading edge, he made some interesting comments:
    The standard leading edge seemed to benefit very little if any from the addition of VG's. The thinking was that the humps and bumps of the ribs & false ribs on the standard leading edge acted somewhat like built-in VG's. The new composite leading edge may eliminate this affect, but could add performance of its own.
    Personally, I'm waiting for some side by side factory test results of new vs standard leading edge performance before committing to $1000. The factory intends to do this at some point I beleive.

Jim

I am assuming that you need to install the leading edge before covering. Or am I mistaken?

yes it must go on before covering, john mcbean hase a 1 page instruction he emailed me that was very helpful.

Do we have to stitch thouth the leading edge?