Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Questions about flight training

Default Questions about flight training

Ok first off I just wanted to say you have a great forum here and I really enjoy reading all the information on this site. To say I am jealous of most of you would be a huge understatement. I am just a lurker here but was wondering if anyone here could give me an opinion about flight training and more specifically LSA training.

I will be 44 next month and like most of you, I am sure, grew up loving anything about airplanes. I have solo’d a Rans 12 and a 150 but I never completed my license. It was also 14 or 15 years ago the last time I flew anything. Well life kind of got in the way and I had pretty much given up on ever getting my license. I really could not justify the expense for the limited amount of flying I would ever be able to do.

Well now the sport pilot thing has come about it seem like it may be perfect for me and the Kitfox seems like it could be perfect too except I have no idea about flying a tail dragger or even if I could.

Here is my main question. I have talked to three instructors so far, two in person and one on the phone. The two in person both fly low wing modern LSA’s and the other instructor flies a Rans 6 trigear. My question if I intend to buy something like the Kitfox would training in something similar be a major advantage or should I just go with the instructor I feel the most confident in no matter what? I also realize that if I decide to by a conventional Kitfox I would have to get my endorsement at some point too.
    I live in the Sacramento area and know just enough to know I don’t know anything. Any suggestions would be great. My plan is to go light sport and maybe at some point get my private just to have it. Thanks for your time and now back to lurking and dreaming.
    Steve

Default Re: Questions about flight training

Steve check out this recent discussion on that very topic.
    http://www.teamkitfox.com/Forums/sho...light=training
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Steve,
    Your story sounds similar to my own. I started at age 55 and now love flying my own Kitfox (trigear). Avid Flyer is right, time to make your dream a reality. You too can do it.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Go for it Steve,
    I would go with and instructor you like/trust and is convenient. A significant portion of learning to fly is a mindset and an understanding that applies to all aircraft. If along the way you acquire your Kitfox (excellent choice) you can get some "type" training in that as well.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

. I have always loved the airplane since the day, many years ago, when I was flying the Rans and watching a kitfox take off. Man it could get off the airport quick.

@Kitfoxnick Thanks I did read post before and I would love to hear the whole story as to how the flight training went. I may pm the OP sometime to get his opinion.

@SkySteve I have read many of your posts too on this forum and another. I may have some questions later about your converting to the trigear. I have never even been in a tailwheel. I guess that is one of the things that is worrying me some. I do like the idea you can convert between the two.

@Dorsal Thanks that is pretty much what I expected. I flew the Rans for an ultralight training program they had in the late 90's. When I decided to start my private training in the Cessna a couple of the instuctors were kind of dismissive but it did help greatly. I was able to solo pretty fast.

Thanks everyone for your time. I know I just need to get off my butt and go for it now.

I don't know anyone who regrests realizing a dream. Go for it, but don't let the tail dragger scare you away! Learning in a TD will make you a better pilot period! It is not hard if you really dont know anything else. The issues seem to come from guys who have flown nose draggers forever and then try to transition to a TD because they CAN be so vastly different on the ground.

At any rate, fly anything that will get you in the air, but you cant go wrong with a KF (or Avid) type plane.

Steve, welcome aboard. One of our site sponsors is Stick & Rudder Aviation. Paul Leadabrand, owner and chief flight instructor, is out of Boise and specializes in instructing people with your qualifications and desires. I just had the pleasure of flying with Paul on a little Idaho back country flight last Saturday while attending the Kitfox Factory Fly In. SkySteve was also on the flight with us.
    Paul started the first flight school in the country using the new Kitfox factory built S-LSA aircraft. He has developed a comprehensive training curriculum which includes tail wheel training and a tail wheel endorsement upon completion of your Sport Pilot course or even if you desire he will take you through the Private Pilot rating. This is a fantastic way to refresh your skills and get introduced to the tail wheel at the same time and you will be flying the exciting Kitfox S-LSA during all your training. You get to train in the very aircraft you will own and fly later. That rarely happens anywhere else in the country hence the incredible success of Stick and Rudder Aviation in just a short period of time.

Paul's demeanor in the cockpit is very low keyed and enjoyable. I talked with one of his former students at the Factory Fly In and he had nothing but praise for Paul's method of teaching and the skills learned with Paul really paid off.

Steve, do yourself a favor and call and talk with Paul. Training with him will be the best aviation decision you will make. You'll come away with a confidence and skill level you never thought possible while all the time flying the most enjoyable aircraft on the market and flying in the most beautiful country a Kitfox gets to see.

http://www.stick-rudder.com/Contact-Us.htm

Below are a couple photos taken with Paul on the back country flight showing his Kitfox , instrument panel and photos of the view you may experience while training with Paul.

P1060207.jpg

P1060178.jpg

P1060196.jpg

P1060246.jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

I also recommend talking to Paul. I worked with him to get my tailwheel endorsement. His instruction was top notch.

Akflyer I agree with you. I really do want to learn how to fly a conventional airplane. I guess I am just nervous as I have no frame of reference. I used to be able to get a trigear up and down but I keep hearing horror stories about ground loops with the tailwheel. As for flying whatever I can I guess that is the reason I am so excited about the kitfox/avid type airplanes. I could afford a 150 but the cheapest thing about a 150 is buying it and let’s face it a 150 does not look like nearly as much fun. Being able to trailer it and wrench on an airplane just seems to make it a whole lot more affordable. I know if I get my license, and don’t own my own plane, I will not end up flying much.

Thanks Desert and JD. I had already looked at the Stick and Rudder website and it was kind of my plan to get some training there. I don’t think I have the time to do my initial training there, but was thinking it would be a great place to do the tailwheel. I lived outside of Boise, in Kuna, about 11 years ago for about six months. I have always loved Idaho. Your description of Paul sounds like the perfect instructor for me. I like low keyed and I seem to remember the website saying something about this supposed to be fun.

Again thanks everyone for your time. I need to just get a plan together to go forward.

Somewhere close was kind of what I was thinking too. There are two light sport training programs in Lodi. They are the closest to my house. I have met both owners and they both seem like great guys. Both fly similar newer low wing airplanes. One is a more traditional type of flight school and the the other is a CFI and an airplane but he does have computer training for the test. There is a small cost difference and one wants you to take their ground school.

There is also an instructor flying off of a grass strip just north of Sacramento but I think he does most all of his pattern training at Lincoln. I called him the other day but have not had a chance to meet him. I am not sure our scheldules would work out. There is also a pretty big school in Lincoln but I have not checked it out yet.

Next month is going to be crazy for me but after that I think I am going to get started. My plan for now, I am sure it will change, is to get my sport pilot license. Fly as often as I can afford afterward to build up time. I want to start looking for an airplane soon after that.