Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: kitfox info

Default kitfox info

i recently was givin a kitfox vixen 5 by my father -in -law,. its not finished yet and is about 85% completely built. i have a few questions about what would happen if i tried to sell without the air worthy certificate(awc)? according to FAA they recommend i get the AWC before i attempt to sell it to another party. personally i want to fly the thing,but i have a long way to go before doing this, need license need to finsh it,understand the plane itself.

how much red tape will have to go thru to get this in my name without AWC?
    how far along does it need to be just to get the AWC in short amount of time, in other words what are the basics to get it to pass?

i dont have much time my father -in law is 92 years and health is slowly deteriating. he has lived a great life and would like to see this thing fly.

thanks for any information.

Default Re: kitfox info

Opinion; (basically my understanding as to how the system works)
    If you are going to sell do it before AWC, it is an advantage to the buyer to be the registered builder and an advantage to you not to carry the forward liability. If the plane is not registered then transferring to you is a non issue though you would need a traceable bill of sale (even if for no money). Getting the AWC means finishing the plane, there is no short cut. Can you describe the state of the build, covered, painted, engine, instrument panel?
    Last edited by Dorsal; 09-07-2011 at 09:15 AM.
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

It is covered, wings particully primered,frame painted,engine install, all eletrical is wired, gauges, prop, it is registered. i am working on the tips now installing led nav,landing light. needs interior done. areon installed,cowelling installed.

Again I believe that transferring the plane and registration to you should not be more difficult due to the lack of an AWC. If, however, you or a potential buyer, want to be the registered builder than an affidavit has to be sent to the FAA stating that the plane was registered prematurely and that no AWC was ever issued. I guess the real question is do you want to finish/fly it or sell it?
    Dorsal ~~^~~
    Series 7 - Tri-Gear
    912 ULS Warp Drive

i would love to fly it, but i know absolutely nothing about planes, lots of schooling needed. from what i read on this site its a blast. safety factor i feel its like walking down the sidewalk , i could get hit by bus any time! i guess i better get to finishing this as soon as possible,my time frame is limited.