Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Turtledeck Flapperon Slot Cutout

Default Turtledeck Flapperon Slot Cutout

Getting ready to trim the turtledeck for the flapperon cutout slot. I have seen two different styles of cutouts. The "curved slot" and the "straight slot". Is there a preference to one or the other or is one easier to re-install over the flapperon tube? Also, is there a blueprint of the cutout? I went through my stash of full size blueprints and couldn't find one for the flapperon slot. Thanks.
    Andy

Default Re: Turtledeck Flapperon Slot Cutout

Andy,
    This is for the Model IV, but I suspect it applies to the others as well. The reason for the curved slot is because when installing the turtle deck, the forward edge is fitted into the slot behind the skylight and rotated down. With this in mind, what I do is fit the uncut turtle deck into the skylight slot and then rotate it down until the sides touch the flaperon spars. Put a mark on the turtle deck side at the fore and aft surfaces of the spar. Using the forward edge of the turtle deck as the center point, you can scribe an arc on the side which will be the forward and aft edges of he cut. The upper limit can be approximated by measuring from the fuselage side tube to the top of the flaperon spar. A couple of trial fits with adjustments will do the trick. I like to use a dremel with a cut off disk to rough out the cut and sand or file to final shape.
    Lowell

Default Re: Turtledeck Flapperon Slot Cutout

HI Andy,
    If you haven't installed the control horns on the flaperons, you can place a dowel into the flaperon spar while they are hanging on the wings and slide the dowel just up to the turtledeck to use it as a guide while rotating the turtledeck to get a perfect alignment. Otherwise the method Lowell suggests gets you pretty close.
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."