Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 1st Annual Kitfox Mountain Fly-Out

Default 1st Annual Kitfox Mountain Fly-Out

clip_image002.jpg
    First Annual
    Kitfox Mountain Fly – OUT
    offered and coordinated by Stick & Rudder Aviation (Paul Leadabrand)
    (in conjunction with the Kitfox Factory Fly-in)
    The plan:
    To gain some mountain flying proficiency
    To see beautiful Idaho
    To land on grass
    To eat a good brunch (@ Smiley Creek Lodge)
    To further the Kitfox social

Where:
    To Smith Prairie (2U0) – Smiley Creek (U87) – Garden Valley (U88) – and return to Homedale (S66).

If the pilots attending are sufficiently experienced – and the airplanes are appropriately configured other shorter (less smooth) airstrips will be shown – the pre-trip meeting will determine this.
    When:
    SATURDAY 9/3

0730 wheels up from Homedale – en masse (that's French)
    An informal pre-trip meeting will be held after the in-formal factory dinner (FRIDAY) the night before.
    Estimate return to Homedale by Noon.

Logistical Details:
    This will be a follow the leader – show me tour. This is not formal flight instruction (as I'm not sitting in your right seat).
    I will offer suggestions to cross mountain passes – and how to approach and the departure corridors.

We will all communicate on a discrete frequency – with the leader (me) communicating our flight position on the backcountry frequency.
    We will all stick together – we will not leave anyone behind – we will travel at the speed of the slowest Kitfox (probably me, as my SLSA has a climb prop setting and big tires).
    Reservations for Breakfast is not offered by the lodge, therefore we may not all be able to sit together if we want to get served in a reasonable amount of time. Ordering & the bill is on your own.
    We will stretch our legs (bathrooms) at each of the 3 airports listed.
    If the shorter-length airports are used by only some pilots along the way – be considerate of the other Kitfox's patiently circling overhead for you to catch back up.
    Round-robin flight time should be about 3 hours, so fuel should not be an issue. If you have an emergency need – auto gas is available at Smiley Creek, if you bring your own gas can!
    Depending on our route – mountain pass altitudes may be as high as 10,000' (Smiley Creek is 7160'). Environmental conditions could send the Density Altitude even higher.
    No maps are needed – I will provide you with an enlarged copy of the route.
    Family and friends back home can monitor our route, via a Internet link, to my personal satellite tracker.

Please RSVP to:
    Stick & Rudder Aviation

Paul Leadabrand - owner, flight instructor
    Email:
    kitfox.training@gmail.com
    208-477-1318
    Web site:
    stick-rudder.com

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Default Re: 1st Annual Kitfox Mountain Fly-Out

now this sounds real cool.

so lets see here, 12 days and counting.

This is a great idea. I am not flying my new one yet, but have flown into some of these places with others in the past. Smiley Creek, is likely the hightst elevation strip most folks will ever have an opportunity to fly into. It is in the watershead that forms the headwaters of the Salmon River. Great place and great food. I'd go in a heartbeat if I had my IV flying.
    Lowell
    Pics: Smiley Creek, Smiley Creek Lodge
    Attached Images Attached Images

what a fantastic idea...wow...wish I could make it. It will be a great draw...sweet...sweet...sweet. Take lots of pics

This will be a fun little flight. RSVP Paul to save a spot. Great way to get introduced to Idaho flying if you haven't had the opportunity yet. I know the Smiley Creek strip is well maintained and nose gear friendly and a short walk to good food. Haven't been to the other two strips yet. If you want to see some video of Kitfox's at Smiley click on the following link to Kitfox Aircraft's Video Gallery. I think all the grass landings in the video are at Smiley Creek.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Someday....

(sigh.)
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos