Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Would like Info On IFA IVOPROP

Default Re: Would like Info On IFA IVOPROP

Why not just install a Power Adjustable or Electronic Adjustable prop? Very similar to the IFA but designed for use by Sport Pilot certificate holders so they can easily adjust their props on the ground.

Their Private Pilot friends can also use it to adjust the prop in the air during flight. That way it's convenient for any pilot.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

Wow! Amazing! Well, I guess that makes it easy.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I know of some pilots that wanted to register their plane as ELSA installed the IFA (electric adjustable) but put the switch under the cowling...still only a ground adjust, but much easier. Not so sure all DAR's would let it fly with a plackard next to the switch (not to be used in flight). Kinda like setting a candy jar in front of a kid with a sign that says do not eat.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

totally agree, but there was a thread not to long ago that said cub crafters is place carding a bunch of stuff that isn't allowable for sport pilot in their new aircraft to be legal.

Smile Re: Would like Info On IFA IVOPROP

Hi Guys
    I think the original post was asking about concerns and/or problems with the actual operation of an IFA prop. The discussion seems to have morphed into "how to circumvent regulations".

I know in the 70 or so hours I have had my IFA IVO I have had no issues at all. The first set of brushes seemed to wear down rather quickly. IVO explained that it takes a while for the commutator to "carbon up" and this is exactly what happened. Unless something drastic happens soon, there is no way I will ever go back to a fixed or GA propeller!

Have fun

Don

you are so right Don, we did get off into left field here. As stated, my prop, the same exact one, medium 70" IVO with IFA is absolutely the best. I did have an issue of adjustment slow down. I thought I had a motor problem. I removed the engine cover and looked things over and found the brushes were a little off center, adjusted that(took a spacer to bring the brushes out a bit), after doing that my speed came back up on adjustment. Than I looked at everyting as a whole and found grease or oil on the brushes and area it rides on but found no leak. I took some brake cleaner and sprayed it nice and clean. I now have it working real nice again. I did order from IVO a new set of brushes for a spare but haven't put them on yet.

On my current prop I have over 200hrs of trouble free operation. I would not go back to a fix prop if you paid me, I absolutely love my adjustable prop. Can't emagine flying without it.

Any experience and/or concerns about the plastic parts in the IVO IFA prop? In one instance (last year during the Kitfox factory fly-in) there was an individual that his IFA IVO got stuck and he had to come back, disassemble the mechanism and replace some parts (motor, gear etc.)

Personally I love the concept as the airplane that I fly now (Diamond DA40) has a constant speed prop and it is a day and night difference compared to the same IO-360 engine w/o constant speed especially when it comes to not having to compromise on climb vs. cruise. I cruise at 10 - 12k feet at almost 140 KTS with a fuel flow of less than 7 GPH with 2 people and luggage.

During this year Oshkosh I specifically looked for alternatives to IVO IFA as I absolutely want IFA for my KF7 but wanted to see if there is something better. I met with the owner of Airmaster from New Zealand and they have a much nicer (more mechanically elaborate but also seems more robust than IVO) solution that comes at a cost. They use Warpdrive prop blades and it is still electrically adjustable and it comes with a nice control box that makes it into a constant speed. I think IVO offers a similar add-on.

To me the electrically adjustable constant speed looks a bit like something with potentially limited life time. I also understand that there is a way to get a Rotax with a hydraulic constant speed add-on (never seen one). So from my point of view I would like to hear more along the lines of what kind of IFA props can be paired with a 912S engine and the pro and cons of each.

Ariel
    Building KF7
    Flying DA40
    KSMO

I remember with my patriot prop IVO, that there were some problems with the gears, I upgraded to their newer motor and didn't have any more problems. The medium prop has a much bigger motor, and it is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
    totally agree, but there was a thread not to long ago that said cub crafters is place carding a bunch of stuff that isn't allowable for sport pilot in their new aircraft to be legal.
    We have a placard on the Carbon Cub SS instrument panel that lists altitudes/rpms that represent the "max continuous power" level, it has nothing to do with the prop which is not IFA. The Carbon Cub SS is fully LSA-compliant.
    Randy Lervold
    TeamKitfox.com Admin Emeritus
    Day job: www.dynonavionics.com

If I might add my 2 cents worth, I'm the dummy who brought up "placecarding" the IFA switch to fudge a little on the technicalities. Maybe the Cub Crafters SS was a bad example but there a lots of very slick LSA's that obviously will exceed LSA speed limits and it seems to me placecarding for a max rpm would be the only way to keep the speeds down. I talked to the builder of a Sonex Wiex recently that was registered as an LSA. According to the builder it would exceed 200mph at altitude with throttle to spare. I know the regs state "138mph at sea level" but this takes fudging to a whole new level. Everybody fudges. That's why we have LSA. It's because everybody fudged. All those 400 pound, 582 powered ultralights helped get us Sport Pilot. Now we have 180hp light sport aircraft that are capable of 2000 pound gross but are limited to 1320. Now add 2-200 pound adults and anything more than 5 gallons gas will put it over max gross. I wonder if anyone will fudge a little. I like the idea of "No log entry". Then as the builder I can do my own annuals. James Thomas Kitfox IV Fixed pitch prop No Fudge-