Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheel alignment...a photo tutorial

Default Re: Wheel alignment...a photo tutorial

I wonder if the gear was misaligned that badly to begin with or by the "test" flying and multiple ground loops?

Checking the alignment is a great idea. However, IMO, if a new set of Grove gear is out that far, it should be sent back to Robby Grove for reworking on his dime.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

This friend was the fourth owner so hard to know what happened. I've never had to adjust a new set of grove gear.
    Nick W
    IV 1200
    912Ul
    Warp Taper Tip

Just did my gear alignment. It’s bang on straight. Is this ok or do I need to add some toe in or out?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Mine was the same as yours and I didn't do anything. I have been happy with how it handles.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Did you guys check yours in the 3-point attitude, or level? Level, mine was straight also. Rotating down to the 3-point I had 1 deg. of toe-in due to the camber in the Grove gear. Toe-in with a taildragger is de-stabilizing, and causes more tire wear than neutral alignment of course. I figured that 99% of the ground miles would be in the 3-point attitude, so I shimmed neutral for that, and now when rotating to level it's close to 1 deg. toe-out (which is actually stabilizing with a taildragger). The airplane is just a little better handling now... it's a subtle perception, but a fact in my case. I used a 1/2 deg. shim on each wheel. FWIW.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Interesting John, I had done it in the level position. Tomorrow I'll go back to the hangar and see what it says in three point
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

I also aded shims and noticed a significant difference is stability on landing particularly.

r
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Toe out Ross? Was it straight before you added shims?
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

No Josh - it was for camber. It used to sit with the bottom of the tire closer to centre line than the top ( I forget if this is neg. or positive !?) and the outside of the tires wore more than the rest (26" Airstreaks). Now they wear evenly and it feels more stable on landing.

I did the alignment for toe in/out before first flight and it didnt need any adjustments for that.

Getting close now Josh - and it looks a monster!

Best of luck.

ross
    Ross
    Mt Beauty, Vic
    OZ
    Sold to Richard and Scott Taubman in OZ, 2019. Kitfox SS7,Rotax 912is Sport, Airmaster CSP 75" blades.
    Landcruiser and Cub off road camper (doesn't get any kudos on this forum!)

Thanks for posting this tutorial T J. After a few landings in my recently purchased model 2 with my instructor we knew something was bad wrong. It would make some un-commanded turns to the right and rudder was ineffective at keeping it running down the runway in a straight line. I performed the alignment, had a 3/8" toe in on left main and a 3/8" negative camber. I bent the axle until I had both at 0". I also learned the Maule tailwheel was unlocking with full left rudder so I replaced the tail wheel with a new Matco 8" pneumatic wide tailwheel. My tail spring was also bent so I replaced with the new 3 spring version which after installation, I realized the spring was canted to the right. We built a shim to correct the spring and installed it on top of spring. All 3 things, alignment, tailwheel and spring mounting was causing the aircraft to turn right. Now that all of that has been corrected, it is WAY easier to control. I solo'd shortly after correcting these issues.